Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synchrony approvals post-BK?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Synchrony approvals post-BK?

Just wondering how long it took for anyone to get in with Synchrony post-BK7. I personally IIB'ed 2 accounts, so I do not expect them to take me back any time soon. However, my wife's Synchrony cards all had 0 balances at the time we filed. We were discharged in October, and both immediately got 3-4 new revolving accounts as well as 2 auto loans and various (old) student loans that have been reporting positive. I don't expect to apply for any of these cards until we hit the 5-6 month post-discharge mark at the earliest, but was just planning.

So, for anyone who has been able to get approved after discharge, I ask:

1) Which card(s)?

2) How long after discharge?

3) Did you include any Synchrony accounts in your BK7?

Thanks in advance for any info!

Message 1 of 51
50 REPLIES 50
kobe2012
Established Contributor

Re: Synchrony approvals post-BK?

was it hard to get an auto loan after discharge? Am worried I might have a difficult time getting a car

Starting Score: MYFICO 12/30/15 -TU: 481, EQ:561, EX:532 - BK7 DISCHARGED 12/2015 - Current: 09/01/2016 TU:642 EQ: 651 EX: 646
NFCU cashRewards:$6200 QS:$1500 Merrick:$1200 Cabelas:$1000 SonyVisa: $500 JCrew:$850 Overstock:$850 Express: $1050 PaypalCredit:$2150 NAVCHECK:$10K
Message 2 of 51
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Just wondering how long it took for anyone to get in with Synchrony post-BK7. I personally IIB'ed 2 accounts, so I do not expect them to take me back any time soon. However, my wife's Synchrony cards all had 0 balances at the time we filed. We were discharged in October, and both immediately got 3-4 new revolving accounts as well as 2 auto loans and various (old) student loans that have been reporting positive. I don't expect to apply for any of these cards until we hit the 5-6 month post-discharge mark at the earliest, but was just planning.

So, for anyone who has been able to get approved after discharge, I ask:

1) Which card(s)?

- Walmart

2) How long after discharge?

- A little over 2 years. But I wasn't agressive at all at rebuilding - I was still pretty broke & unemployed for almost a year post discharge. I was in the checkout lane at a Walmart store and the cashier pointed to the promo that if I spent $100+ and was approved I'd get a $25 credit. Sounded good so I app'd, was a bit suprised at instant approval for $1200 CL. Now the CL is $5k, some auto CLIs and then I used Chat and got it doubled from $2500 to $5k CL.

3) Did you include any Synchrony accounts in your BK7?

- Yep, 2 cards for a little over $5k. A third card, Lowes, hadn't been used in awhile & had a $0 balance. They closed it when they were notified of my BK on their other 2 cards. I app'd for a new Lowes card 4 years post discharge as I had soime home improvements to do. Instant approval for $700, I called recon and got $5k CL.

Thanks in advance for any info

- You're welcome, and good luck on the rebuild.

Message 3 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

Idk about synchrony soon after bk, but lowes told me that I would have to wait 2 years post bk in order to be approved. So there is hope. I would like to have at least one home improvement store card though. I guess I just have to wait. I previously had a Home Depot card which had a 0 balance at the time of filing, but idk how they are with a bk on record either. :/
Message 4 of 51
tussking
Established Contributor

I am 72 days post discharge. I have 5 bank credit cards (all unsecured). I applied for Amazon at day 61 - declined & Walmart day 68 - declined...Hope that helps !
Discharged BK7 - 7.16.15
Current Fico8 - (8.2022) EX - 744/EQ - 728/TU - 740
Message 5 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think we included any Synchrony cards in our BK filing. We were approved for both Walmart and Amazon somewhere around a year post filing. Good luck!

Message 6 of 51
jim44
Established Contributor

IHO I think approval has a lot to do with pre BK credit history.  I had a JC Penney card that was IIBK, however the balance on that card was less than $200 when I filed.  I was approved for Lowes, Floor & Decor and hh gregg 6 months post however all were backed by GE at that time.  Fast foward to four years and I was turned down with Sams Club store card twice in a 6 month period.  BK were the reasons for denial.  In August of this year I was approved for a BP Visa... expecting a regular BP card or denial.  Granted, most are store cards and most all came with toy CL's but they have all had CLIs.  YMMV with these cards. Best of luck OP on your rebuild.

Message 7 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just to update this thread with some data points in case anyone comes across it via search...

-Tried for Amazon card at about 90 days post discharge - denied, citing BK7

-Tried for JCP card at about 120 days post discharge - denied (no letter yet, but probably due to BK7)

Will try again at 180 days/6 months.

Message 8 of 51
0REDSOX7
Valued Contributor

I was approved for a Care Credit card (3000 CLI) seven months post discharge.  I had included Lowes, Care Credit and Toys R Us in my Ch. 7 filing.

BK Discharge 2/11/14

Currently in the garden.
Message 9 of 51
6speed8
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Just to update this thread with some data points in case anyone comes across it via search...

-Tried for Amazon card at about 90 days post discharge - denied, citing BK7

-Tried for JCP card at about 120 days post discharge - denied (no letter yet, but probably due to BK7)

Will try again at 180 days/6 months.

Same happened to me. Amazon, Discount Tire and Sears all declined citing Ch7. Meanwhile I got two Cap One, First Premier and Credit One all unsecured. Go figure..

CH 7 Discharged 6/10/15
T/U - 643
EQ - 588
Ex - 647 as of 6/14/15
Message 10 of 51
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.