Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synchrony approvals post-BK?

tag
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

Re: Synchrony approvals post-BK?

I was able to get to get Synchrony cards after I included them in my bankruptcy.

I included Belk and Walmart in my bankruptcy.

I got Belk ($100) and Walmart ($100) about a year or so after bankruptcy. Now Belk is $900 CL and $2700 Walmart.

I also have $3000 Sunglass Hut and $3800 Lowes.

I never hit the CLI button and I don't rock the boat with them. I'm not inviting them to send me a blue envelope. Don't call them up and get 10k limit for a Walmart card. That is just inviting Synchrony trouble.

Guyatthebeach

Message 41 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Just wondering how long it took for anyone to get in with Synchrony post-BK7. I personally IIB'ed 2 accounts, so I do not expect them to take me back any time soon. However, my wife's Synchrony cards all had 0 balances at the time we filed. We were discharged in October, and both immediately got 3-4 new revolving accounts as well as 2 auto loans and various (old) student loans that have been reporting positive. I don't expect to apply for any of these cards until we hit the 5-6 month post-discharge mark at the earliest, but was just planning.

So, for anyone who has been able to get approved after discharge, I ask:

1) Which card(s)? Amazon Store Card

2) How long after discharge? Just about two years after BK discharge (discharged early December 2014, applied for card at Thanksgiving weekend 2016)

3) Did you include any Synchrony accounts in your BK7? No

Thanks in advance for any info!

As you can see, I waited for a good long time before trying for an Amazon card, and got approved instantly with an $800 SL (I'm still waiting to see when I can do a CLI on it or whether I'll get an automatic increase at 6 months or whenever, but that's a different topic). The first CC I actually got after BK discharge was the Capital One Platinum secured at the end of 2015 - if I'd known now what I know then I'd have applied for Discover It secured instead, but that's water under the bridge...

Message 42 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Just wondering how long it took for anyone to get in with Synchrony post-BK7. I personally IIB'ed 2 accounts, so I do not expect them to take me back any time soon. However, my wife's Synchrony cards all had 0 balances at the time we filed. We were discharged in October, and both immediately got 3-4 new revolving accounts as well as 2 auto loans and various (old) student loans that have been reporting positive. I don't expect to apply for any of these cards until we hit the 5-6 month post-discharge mark at the earliest, but was just planning.

So, for anyone who has been able to get approved after discharge, I ask:

1) Which card(s)? Amazon Store Card

2) How long after discharge? Just about two years after BK discharge (discharged early December 2014, applied for card at Thanksgiving weekend 2016)

3) Did you include any Synchrony accounts in your BK7? No

Thanks in advance for any info!

As you can see, I waited for a good long time before trying for an Amazon card, and got approved instantly with an $800 SL (I'm still waiting to see when I can do a CLI on it or whether I'll get an automatic increase at 6 months or whenever, but that's a different topic). The first CC I actually got after BK discharge was the Capital One Platinum secured at the end of 2015 - if I'd known now what I know then I'd have applied for Discover It secured instead, but that's water under the bridge...

Great info, thanks for sharing!

I have been thinking about applying, burned them for about $800 when discharged June of last year. I'll park that idea and wait till I'm at the 2yr mark before doing anything.

Right now more focused on NFCU and getting a CC and NavCheck there and refi on the car then headed to the garden while I let that that grow along with my two CC's I have now.

I burned a variety so my options are semi-limited in terms of who I seek LOC's after:

Burned the following:

@Chevron Synchrony @$1k

@Anonymous Synchrony @ $1k

@Anonymous One 2 cards @ $4k

@Barclays @ $2.5k

@Springleaf @ $2.2k

@Sears CBNA @ $2k

@discover @ $1.5k

@Kohl's/Cap1 @ $1.2k

@Anonymous Schwab @ $1k

Message 43 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you have any Synchrony accounts before your bk, if so how many.

Message 44 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had one and was told by the attorney that I had to IIB even with $0 balance Smiley Sad

suffice to say they closed the account.  I re-apped 3 mo post DC and was approved at 300.  6 months later I asked for CLI and I'm at $1000.  It's a Banana/gap store card.

Message 45 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

The one thing that you can get after filing BK is an auto loan. I was approved by several companies before my BK was discharged. Interest rates are just high. But I believe I received a 13% APR rate.

Message 46 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

13% APR? If you don't mindme asking. What ws your credit score and your income when you got the car loan? I'm scared to let my current car go back in my chapter 7, because I will need to get into another car asap.

Message 47 of 51
tryingforgoals
Valued Member

It's soooo difficult to get a car loan. At least for me it was. So now I'm just gonna improve my score and try again in 90 days.
Capital One Secured Card (8/2020):$200 Capital One QuickSilver (1/2022):$900 Chime Credit Builder (9/2020) Capital One SavorOne Student (11/2021): $1,000.00
Starting Score:
TU:569(1/2021) EQ:529 (1/2021) EX:595 (1/2021)
Current Score: TU:626(02/2022)EQ:634(03/2022) EX:635 (03/2022)
Goal Score: TU & EQ: 700+
Message 48 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just filed chapter 7 last Monday and I am really nervous about the unknown. Please let me know how it’s been for you and any suggestions that would help me. Thank you
Message 49 of 51
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

I have $37k in Synchrony cards but I did not burn them in BK.

I did however burn Cap One and I have $80k in credit plus a 2.49% car loan.

I am 4 years post BK due to circumstances out of my control.

My advice:  be smart, stay away from predator cards and stay away from all store cards that do not give you something really special (5% back, 0%, etc.)

Keep checking with Cap One, Merrick, Barclays, and Discover.

Once you get a few cards, use them, pay them, be patient.

Time heals all wounds.

Good luck.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 50 of 51
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.