Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T-Mobile EIP in Chapter 7?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

T-Mobile EIP in Chapter 7?

Good Afternoon Everyone!

I am curious if any one has had T-Mobile service when then filied Chapter 7 and what TMO did?

I spoke to a Tmo rep online who advised to send in my creditor matrix as well as a letter that I intend to keep Tmobile service during and after the banrkuptcy, which I did.

The only thing I added to the letter was that I have an EIP (Equipment Installment Plan) balance of $293.00 for a device I no longer have because I had to sell it to help pay bills and if there is anyway we could work out something to either eliminate that or reduce it all together , then I could continue my service, because that is an extra $19.53 that I can't afford.

My point is.....has anyone ever been in the same situation having to mail the "T-Mobile Bankruptcy Department" and should I wait to hear what they say or just include them in the proceedings and go with a cheaper carrier? I don't want to burn Tmo if i don't have to because I like the service, but if i ultimately have to I will. 

Thanks Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Scupra
Super Contributor

Re: T-Mobile EIP in Chapter 7?

Years ago when I worked for T-Mobile they were great to work with during BK. It will be interesting to see how EIP messes with things, Keep us updated

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes it certainly will be interesting. I've heard they are pretty good as well for having when going thru BK, but I was nervous about the EIP. I certainly keep everyone updated.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had TMO during our Chapter 7 and there were absolutely zero issues.  I think at the time I had 2 or 3 open EIPs.  Then again, I never let them know I was filing bankruptcy.

Our attorney told us to keep paying the EIP because it was part of our monthly bill and we intended to keep the phones, so we had no issues whatsoever.  I vaguely remember her saying something about not being able to discharge just an EIP b/c it wasn't a traditional line of credit, but maybe my memory is foggy.  I think you would have to just let your TMO account go to collections and then include it in your filing (this would include your EIP balance).  

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Most of the information I've gotten to this point has been hit or miss or whether it can be included and discharged.....although I did talk to a rep on the Chat on T-Mobile.com and she said "Yes, it should apply to the EIP as well." But that is a better idea, is just to let it go to collections and include it in the proceedings that way.

Ultimately I like T-Mobile and don't want to burn them if i don't have to, but it boils down to my bill being between $90-$100 per month, when I can go somewhere like Cricket for 30-60 per month....

Message 5 of 10
Scupra
Super Contributor

Just make sure you didn't sell your phone to someone you know. Once you discharge the EIP I would not be surprised if Tmo locked the IMEI and bricked the phone.

801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

My advice?  Don't let it go to collections and pay off the $293.  I know that can seem like a lot, but if you want to stay with TMO then that's what you'll probably have to do.  Also, collections agencies are so annoying to deal with and they can wreak havoc after bankruptcy when they randomly pop up on your credit report (I'm dealing with this now) despite them being included in Chapter 7.  Also, it can take awhile for a debt to make it to collections, so if you planned on filing soon that could cause some issues.  

And yeah, if you let it go to collections they'll probably blacklist the IMEI, rendering the phone useless anyways.  So I'd say if you want to stay with them, work something out where you can pay it off over a few months.  They're pretty easy to work with when it comes to late payments, so I'd imagine the same holds true with bankruptcy situations.  

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can I ask whatever happened with this? How long did it take for you to get out of credit class Z (bankruptcy)? That is my current problem, they're taking forever to convert me back, and I'd really like to get a new phone. I never burnt any bridges with TMO when I filed. I had already paid my EIP off. I've always paid my bill on time, and have paid my equipment off. I'm starting to wonder if this department even exsits. Been getting the run around from reps for weeks.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Can I ask whatever happened with this? How long did it take for you to get out of credit class Z (bankruptcy)? That is my current problem, they're taking forever to convert me back, and I'd really like to get a new phone. I never burnt any bridges with TMO when I filed. I had already paid my EIP off. I've always paid my bill on time, and have paid my equipment off. I'm starting to wonder if this department even exsits. Been getting the run around from reps for weeks.

I switched to T-Mobile roughly 20 months post discharge. I had scores in the mid 600s and 4 credit cards I was rebuilding with at the time. I totally expected to pay for my new phone in full that day and was suprised when I was approved for $3,000 of equipment with no problems.

Message 9 of 10
Scupra
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Have you contacted T-Mobile to see if you can be removed from Class Z?

801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.