Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tax refund check before or after BK???

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tax refund check before or after BK???

Hello everyone, can someone please tell me what the trustee does in this case? I just filed my tax's today and I'm exppecting a pretty hefty check. I have been looking forward to this for a very long time now but now I am planning on filing BK soon and was wondering what happens to the money. My CPA said not to file BK until you get your tax returns and then cash it. She is obviously not a BK lawyer so she didnt know what consequences may happen but what can a judge/trustee do if I get my tax returns and then just cash it. Not deposit it anywhere but literally just cash the check and leave the cash in a safe or something. What is the worst that can happen?

What if I said I had to pay back a friend that lended me the money a long long time ago. How will they go after this?
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Tax refund check before or after BK???

if you do that, i would get that in writing, a receipt if you will, showing at least you are making an effort to pay your debts.

i guess with all things, a show of good faith is in order.

you can pose the same question to your lawyer. he'll advise you on it.

write out all your questions before meeting with him. everything bothering you, everything that happened.
Message 2 of 6
granny031350
Established Contributor

spend your refund on none luxury items.  Don't pay off any of the credit cards etc.  Pay ahead on your mortgage, your car, stock up on food items that will last.  Keep all receipts of how it was spent. 
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Granny!!! you are the best!!! This is the best news i have heard about my refund check. Although i know nothing is certain when it comes to BK but are you pretty confident that i can do this? And would mean that i would have to wait until i get the check first before i file bk? Can i file and tell the trustee not to take it because i am planning on putting it towards the mortgage?
Message 4 of 6
granny031350
Established Contributor

Keep your receipts.  If you are filing a chapter 13, you need to "prepare" for it.  Stock up, like I said.  Make sure your car can/will last 5 years.  If it needs work, use that tax refund to get it fixed.  If your condo needs any repairs, get those done prior to filing.  Also, as to keeping 1 credit card, I doubt that Cap 1 would allow that but you can always call and ask them, once you file. 
Message 5 of 6
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

Your best bet is to speak to an attorney. 

Message Edited by fishbjc on 02-28-2008 07:52 PM
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.