Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The beginning of my journey......continued 02/04/2016

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

The beginning of my journey......continued 02/04/2016

This morning we met with our attorney and signed our paperwork.  Due to a time crunch, I took our credit report back to work with me to verify and validate everything on it in order to make sure that all creditors have been named.  The 'FILE' button for us will be clicked by the end of the day today.  Our combined credit score sits at 556 which is hard to swallow.  Overall, though, I'm more optimistic than ever before......I think I'm more excited to have these collectors stop calling me than anything else at this point.

We have decided to reaffirm our cars because A. they are late model cars with little miles and in great repair and B. we want our continued payments to show on our CR.  We have budgeted to pay an additional $200 to principle on a monthly basis to get those obligations paid in full sooner and with less money paid into interest.

to be continued........

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: The beginning of my journey......continued 02/04/2016

Congrats on the decision to file. Good luck to you. Make sure your lawyer includes language in the reaffirmation agreement that states the lender will continue to report the payments to the credit bureau. They are under no obligation to do so unless you make it happen. (At least that is what I understand.) Take some time to breathe after the file button is hit. I'm sure you deserve that chance. Good luck to you!

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Congrats on the decision to file. Good luck to you. Make sure your lawyer includes language in the reaffirmation agreement that states the lender will continue to report the payments to the credit bureau. They are under no obligation to do so unless you make it happen. (At least that is what I understand.) Take some time to breathe after the file button is hit. I'm sure you deserve that chance. Good luck to you!

Thank you.  Our attorney has included that stipulation in there and I confirmed with the lender that they will continue to report payments to the bureaus.  I was so confident in my decision but now I'm feeling a little apprehensive.  I know I'm going to do it for sure, but it's just one of those things I guess.....like buyers remorse.  It will get better and I know it.  

Message 3 of 7
0REDSOX7
Valued Contributor

Dont be suprised if your credit score goes up as accounts get updated to IIB and a zero balance...  Our scores were actually higher coming out of BK then when we went in.  So crazy!

BK Discharge 2/11/14

Currently in the garden.
Message 4 of 7
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

A year from now you will be at 650 credit score with new unsecured credit cards and a silent phone.

It is a great feeling.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Shooting-For-800 wrote:

A year from now you will be at 650 credit score with new unsecured credit cards and a silent phone.

It is a great feeling.

I've kept my credit score goal conservatively aggressive (is that even a thing?) as I know I'll need to garden for a bit.

Message 6 of 7
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

@Shooting-For-800 wrote:

It is a great feeling.

I've kept my credit score goal conservatively aggressive (is that even a thing?) as I know I'll need to garden for a bit.

^ I like it - kind of like a governor on a car Smiley Tongue  For those of you that are too young to know what a governor is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Governor_(device)

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.