Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The post-bk rebuild long game begins

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

The post-bk rebuild long game begins

Well, I’m less than 2 weeks out from my BK7 discharge (due 10/10; I know it can take some time to come through) so I thought I’d start my own thread to track my rebuild progress. [Thread has since been edited to remove old and add new information]

IIB: PSECU CC, BOA CC, Chase CC, Synchrony CareCredit LOC.

Telecheck, Chexsystems, EWS, LexisNexis/Innovis reports all received back and are clean.

Reasons for filing: I work ft with disabilities, and I was separated and divorced a handful of years ago. The adjustment to living by myself with a disability was much, much rougher than I expected, and it took a toll on every aspect of my life, including managing my finances. Trust me, I've made the adjustment now. But it took a financial crisis in 2016; plenty of hours doing research, taking notes and learning to be patient; and a lot of help from the folks here to get me on track.

SCORES BY MONTH

Early 2015 - EX 794 - previous high

Jun 2017 - EX 494, EQ 486, TU 483 - BK7 filed - previous lows

Sep 2017 - EX 561, EQ 570, TU 501

Oct 2017 - EX 580, EQ 579, TU 522 - BK7 discharged

Dec 2017 - EX 609, EQ 634, TU 583 - reporting Disco CC, Alliant SSL

Jan 2018 - EX 636, EQ 655, TU 629 - reporting Cap1 CC

Feb 2018 - EX 644, EQ 665, TU 638

Mar 2018 - EX 644, EQ 655, TU 639 - reporting Clearview CC

Apr 2018 - EX 644, EQ 670, TU 648

May 2018 -  EX 647 EQ 680 TU 654 - removed ex-H joint CC and got down to AZEO. 

Jun 2018 - EX 657 EQ 684 TU 655

38 REPLIES 38
shadanat
Frequent Contributor

Re: The post-bk rebuild long game begins

The BOA account that says responsibility terminated seems like you were an authorized user on an account. Were you ever an AU? If so, I would leave it alone as it is reporting a positive history.

Message 2 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

@shadanat wrote:

The BOA account that says responsibility terminated seems like you were an authorized user on an account. Were you ever an AU? If so, I would leave it alone as it is reporting a positive history.

It took me a lot of thinking, but yes. This was my ex-husband's only other cc while we were married, and he must have removed me some time after our divorce finalized. I didn't initially remember being an AU on it but I do now.  Thank you. 

Message 3 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

credit/rebuilding diary:

10/03/2017 RIP my PSECU accounts. I did call and ask sheepishly to be let back in for deposit accounts only, and they did tell me that because I caused a loss, it is policy that they essentially will never let me back in. On the one hand, this was my largest write-off. But I had to try... I'm stubborn.

I got nearly $200 out of the call, though. They improperly charged me some credit card fees during my relationship with them and offered me a refund, and I sent the letter to my atty some time ago, asking if the trustee would need to do anything about it. He said it was not an issue, and to "go have a really nice dinner." (I don't even know how to spend three digits on a meal.) So since they're closing out my account, they mailed me the check. It'll go into my rebuilding fund.

Message 4 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

10/10/2017 due date for creditors to object to discharge

10/11/2017 checked PACER as soon as I got home from work - it's party time! I'm DISCHARGED!!! 

Opened my Alliant account - tried to open an account at a local CU too, but failed the knowledge based questions (original amount of a pre-divorce car loan from 7 years ago?) so I have to visit a branch. I'll pop in at lunch tomorrow or maybe this Saturday

I'm not applying for any credit until my reports correct themselves (at least EX is obviously not showing d/c yet). It can wait a few days-couple weeks to hopefully get better results.

But I'm still so relieved. I just want to start working on fixing my mess and my mistakes.

Message 5 of 39
shadanat
Frequent Contributor

Congratulations on your discharge

Message 6 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

10/11/17-Opened Alliant account. I’m excited to be a CU member again! Also opened a local CU savings for branching purposes, still toying with whether to keep it 10/16/17-established SSL, paid down to 8.99% just waiting for it to show on credit reports. I know this may not show until next month due to when it was opened.

10/20/17-For the hell of it, I played with some CC payoff calculators. One of my early questions on this forum was “should I try to keep my CLs lower as my TLs grow?” (that is, some decided amount based on my income) I don’t want to get in trouble again – on the one hand I feel I’m serious (and obsessive) enough about this rebuild. Otoh, a lifetime is a long time for things to go wrong and I am the kind of person who likes to build in reasonable safeguards for myself.
Results: just $2,000 balance at any APR takes 2-3 years to pay off at the amount that I’m going to be able to put into savings every month (over and above my basic living expenses). I’d have to stop saving for at least 2 entire years, in addition to sticking to a strict budget. Conclusions: there’s no point trying to keep my CLs down artificially. What I need to learn is discipline and trust/confidence in myself. Which I think is what y’all told me...

10/24/17-Updated scores.  No SSL showing on any report. EX shows lates (I understand they are allowed to). Otherwise, all showing discharged, and zero balance and IIB on appropriate accounts. 
EX: 580, EQ: 579, TU: 522

Also 10/24/17-CC apps-
Discover-found out that my issue with Discover’s websites were resolved and that I was prequaled for their Secured card. Went ahead and app’d, put in deposit, supposedly Approved!!!, waiting 2 weeks for card (pending any potential requests for verification). No HP at least not yet.

Message 7 of 39
shadanat
Frequent Contributor

Whooo Hoooo! Congratulations!!

Message 8 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

In case anyone else was previously a permanent prescreen opt-out then decided, due to bk, they wanted to opt back in to pre-screen offers, here was my experience. I had read it could take anywhere from "a couple weeks" to "six months" to begin receiving offers again. It took about 6 weeks for me (from when I completed the opt-in). I just received my very first prescreened credit mailer today!, from none other than CreditOne. I might frame it.

.... just kidding.

Message 9 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

10/24/17-Another CC app - Cap1 Platinum. This was a cold app; I did NOT show as prequal'd on their site, either for Platinum or Secured. However, both were "suggested." I decided to go for it, probably against everyone's better judgment. (cough.) There was some back-and-forth with Cap1's fraud department while I was working a very noisy event and couldn't understand everything they were telling me. Regardless - Today 11/03/17 I received my Platinum card, activated it and arrived to my online account to find a $3,000 SL!!! 

I also spoke with Discover yesterday and should be receiving my $500 secured card by mid-next week. I am going to stop there for now, at least until things report for a few cycles. My SSL still has not shown up, although I know Alliant has about another week yet to report it.

Still, I'm so glad. I was expecting $300-500 SL for Cap1. This is nice. :-)

Message 10 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.