cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

There is hope after BK7. Hope this helps!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

There is hope after BK7. Hope this helps!

Hello!

I haven't really posted here much but thought id share my story. I filed backruptcy back in September. At the time, my current Credit Karma score (I know is not accurate) was 403. TERRIBLE! So I decided to file because the debt I had and an upside down auto loan would never let me dig out. I filed 9/15/2015

I immediately began cleaning my reports. Disputing everything and anything. A lot of things dropped right away, some wanted to stay til discharge. Before discharging my score jumped to the 575 range which amazed me. I was on my way.

Discharged: 12/17/15. Score at the time? 603 (Again, credit karma)

Immediately got me an opensky secured card at $200. Used it for about a month and got antsy. Checked my REAL scores using my fico and saw 650+ across the board. Did a little bit of apping, and now im in the garden. Here is my portfolio so far, not the best but im on my way!:

OpenSky secured: $200 (First card)

FingerHut : $500 (Technically first unsecured thing I have)

Gettington: $300

Sports Authority from Commenity: $750

Overstock: $350

Kohls (Capital One): $400

And... drumroll..... An unsecured NON STORE credit card VISA BRANDED (FIRST ONE UNSECURED!!) for just $500 from a local credit union. I have not been approved for a unsecured credit card in about 5 years (or more). Sorry for the craziness maybe im overreacting but im happy. $3k in lines just a month and a half outside BK. Im going into the garden to work on my scores and try to hit the big 700!

Oh. And I also got approved for a bank account today from BB&T! Been using prepaid debit cards for about 5 years too. 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: There is hope after BK7. Hope this helps!

Congrats! I don't see any overreacting. It's normal to be excited as you start rebuilding. Keep up the good work!

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats! Let the rebuilding fun begin!!

Message 3 of 7
Creditwiser
Valued Contributor

Congrats on the start of your rebuild journey.  I'm 19 monts post disch and could not be happier with my progress. Mind you every move I made was from the advice of the good people in this forum and the research Ive done from thousands of posts. You're on your way and if you're serious about rebuilding, stick around and you'll be amazed at what you will learn and how far you'll go in no time at all. 

Try as best as you can to be patient and resist apping further until you have a solid plan. Read , read and then read more in this forum and develope a strategy with short term as well as long term goals.  Welcome to the forum.  it's all good Smiley Wink

NFCU Visa 30k | NFCU Platinum 30k | Cap1 QS 12K | Cap1 QS 11.5K | Barclay MC 9k | Delta Gold Amex 30K | Discover IT 14K | CFNA FS 3200 | CareCredit 20k| Paypal Credit 5k |
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the advice! 3k is more than enough for me right now, especially considering ive never had this much credit at once. Definitely going to garden, make some small purchases and PIF every month. Might leave some on and pay 1.00 min interest on some to toss some "bones" and keep them happy. Not apping for a while, going to see how this goes! 

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

when you say "Disputing everything and anything" what exatly did you dispute? I'm looking at cleaning up my report but im not sure what i should look for.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Every single negative item on your report. Collections, past due accounts, accounts showing with bad payments histories, and judgements. You may not get as lucky as I did but I had all judgments (3) removed from all my reports. All collcetions and past dues removed. Accounts showing poor payment history updated to IIBK, and deleted the whole file of payment history altogether. A car I had and surrendered in the BK is off the report completely. I have no negatives on my report EXCEPT the BK7

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.