cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Things not to do if you want a 700 score in 2 years.

tag
0REDSOX7
Valued Contributor

Re: Things not to do if you want a 700 score in 2 years.

TRC_WA, I would post a photo of my credit report to prove you wrong, but, I don't feel the need to go that route, because my credit union didn't give me a bunch of "fluff" - it was on the credit report she printed out and gave to me.

I have an Amazon and Target card with a combined limit of 5,000 - and on the top of my credit report, they have a summary that lists out what type of accounts, and right there it is - Consumer Finance Accounts - 2 Accts  / 5,000 CL / 5,000 AV.  It lists my other revolving accounts (VISA and MC) as just that, revolving accounts.

Again, it does not impact scoring (as mentioned in my previous post) - but under a manual review (and, all loan approvals at my local CUs are done with someone actually LOOKING at your credit report) and a person who has most of there credit issued to them via store cards will be less likely to get a loan with favorable terms than to someone who doesn't fall under that "model"

BK Discharge 2/11/14

Currently in the garden.
Message 11 of 25
0REDSOX7
Valued Contributor

Redeyz, a Lowe's card would probably have a higher utilization than say a Macy's or Nordstroms.  And by utilization, I am not talking about how frequently the card gets "used" so much as to what the outstanding balance is.  Many people who get a Lowe's card do so to put a big purchase on (say appliances, new kitchen or bathroom or flooring), get a favorable interest rate for a set time, and then pay the balance down.

But, I believe my understand of "utliziation" may be different from what you are trying to say...

BK Discharge 2/11/14

Currently in the garden.
Message 12 of 25
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@0REDSOX7 wrote:

TRC_WA, I would post a photo of my credit report to prove you wrong, but, I don't feel the need to go that route, because my credit union didn't give me a bunch of "fluff" - it was on the credit report she printed out and gave to me.

I have an Amazon and Target card with a combined limit of 5,000 - and on the top of my credit report, they have a summary that lists out what type of accounts, and right there it is - Consumer Finance Accounts - 2 Accts  / 5,000 CL / 5,000 AV.  It lists my other revolving accounts (VISA and MC) as just that, revolving accounts.

Again, it does not impact scoring (as mentioned in my previous post) - but under a manual review (and, all loan approvals at my local CUs are done with someone actually LOOKING at your credit report) and a person who has most of there credit issued to them via store cards will be less likely to get a loan with favorable terms than to someone who doesn't fall under that "model"

Well, CUs can do things a little differently. For example in Feb I got a $10k auto loan from my local CU, but according to my CRs I've never had a car loan - the CU reports it as a 'secured loan', as if it were one of those credit rebuilder loans secured by a $$$ deposit..

TRC's post does ring a bell in that when I had a Prosper loan my TU FICO always had the message "too many consumer finance accounts" (only had the 1), and as soon as I paid it off the message disappeared.

Message 13 of 25
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@0REDSOX7 wrote:

... and I can post one of mine but I'm not gonna argue about it.  Smiley Wink

We can go back and forth all day long...

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20120405122620AA6zLtg

"Consumer finance companies" are different types of companies compared to regular banks and credit unions. A consumer finance company is typically for those who have bad or no credit and cannot get approved for a loan with their bank or credit union. Consumer finance loans generally have much higher interest rates then loans offered by regular banks and credit unions.
Several examples of consumer finance companies is OneMain Financial (formerly known as CitiFinancial), Wells Fargo Financial and 2nd Chance Finance (notice the word Finance/Financial in the companies names) 

Just as I said in my previous reply.

Sorry... but a Walmart or Target credit card don't fall under this definition... regardless of what your CU says or your CR says.  I suppose they can have their own internal definition however... nothing stopping them from classifying an account however they want when it comes to their lending criteria.

Smiley Wink

@0REDSOX7 wrote:

I wouldn't put a lot of stock into what Equifax says... LOL

@DaveInAZ wrote:

Well, CUs can do things a little differently. For example in Feb I got a $10k auto loan from my local CU, but according to my CRs I've never had a car loan - the CU reports it as a 'secured loan', as if it were one of those credit rebuilder loans secured by a $$$ deposit..

TRC's post does ring a bell in that when I had a Prosper loan my TU FICO always had the message "too many consumer finance accounts" (only had the 1), and as soon as I paid it off the message disappeared.

Thanks Dave.  Smiley Wink 

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 14 of 25
0REDSOX7
Valued Contributor

TRC_WA - fair enough.

I appreciate what you posted because it is correct.

I just know on here, we advocate using credit unions as sources to rebuild after bankruptcy, and the three that I have experience advise not having more than 50% of your issued credit come from store cards or consumer finance accounts.

I think that is fair and solid advice.

BK Discharge 2/11/14

Currently in the garden.
Message 15 of 25
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@0REDSOX7 wrote:

TRC_WA - fair enough.

I just know on here, we advocate using credit unions as sources to rebuild after bankruptcy, and the three that I have experience advise not having more than 50% of your issued credit come from store cards or consumer finance accounts.

I agree.  CUs all the way... love my BECU.

Also,  I agree about not having too many. I've never supported store cards.  I have 2... Best Buy and Nordstrom (3 if you count CareCredit?).  All are high limit $3500+.

I definitely don't believe in a wallet full of $200 toy limit Target and Pep Boys cards... in the end the accounts do more harm to your profile than good.  Sure they may be great for starting a rebuild but once you get a solid profile you are better off closing the toy limit store cards.

I don't support the SCT either.

The only point I was trying to make is store cards are not consumer finance accounts... at least going by the textbook definition.  Smiley Wink

NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Message 16 of 25
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

@TRC_WA wrote:

@0REDSOX7 wrote:

TRC_WA - fair enough.

I agree.  CUs all the way... love my BECU.

Also,  I agree about not having too many. I've never supported store cards.  I have 2... Best Buy and Nordstrom (3 if you count CareCredit?).  All are high limit $3500+.

I definitely don't believe in a wallet full of $200 toy limit Target and Pep Boys cards... in the end the accounts do more harm to your profile than good.  Sure they may be great for starting a rebuild but once you get a solid profile you are better off closing the toy limit store cards.

I don't support the SCT either.

The only point I was trying to make is store cards are not consumer finance accounts... at least going by the textbook definition.  Smiley Wink

TRC and Dave are 100% correct.  Store cards are not consumer finance company cards for FICO scoring.  That said, I totally agree about not having too many store cards.  Maybe one or two for credit mix and if you get a tangible benefit like free FICO, 5% off, free financing, free shipping, etc.

There are 6557 credit unions in the USA.   There are about 14K McDonald's in the USA.  So there is roughly one CU for every two McDonald's -- and that's CU companies, not branches like the McDonald's number!

My point is that CU employees are typically poorly paid and not very experienced, at least the frontline branch people.  They are notorious for giving out bad advice, like "close out all your credit cards and it will help your score and we will give you a car loan."

I absolutely love credit unions and think they are the best gift there is to those of us with BK's.  They are the most forgiving and the most reasonable.  Just take some of their generalized advice with a grain of salt because they don't know what they are talking about.

Also many of the smaller, local CU's have their own little pet peeves.  If you listened to one and believed that what they say goes for the others, you would be so wrong.

So agree that any finance company loans are bad, more than a couple of store cards is bad (unless there is a very good reason), credit unions are way better than banks for people who have had credit problems in the past.

Message 17 of 25
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@CH-7-Mission-Accomplished wrote:

TRC and Dave are 100% correct.  Store cards are not consumer finance company cards for FICO scoring.  That said, I totally agree about not having too many store cards.  Maybe one or two for credit mix and if you get a tangible benefit like free FICO, 5% off, free financing, free shipping, etc.

There are 6557 credit unions in the USA.   There are about 14K McDonald's in the USA.  So there is roughly one CU for every two McDonald's -- and that's CU companies, not branches like the McDonald's number!

My point is that CU employees are typically poorly paid and not very experienced, at least the frontline branch people.  They are notorious for giving out bad advice, like "close out all your credit cards and it will help your score and we will give you a car loan."

I absolutely love credit unions and think they are the best gift there is to those of us with BK's.  They are the most forgiving and the most reasonable.  Just take some of their generalized advice with a grain of salt because they don't know what they are talking about.

Also many of the smaller, local CU's have their own little pet peeves.  If you listened to one and believed that what they say goes for the others, you would be so wrong.

So agree that any finance company loans are bad, more than a couple of store cards is bad (unless there is a very good reason), credit unions are way better than banks for people who have had credit problems in the past.

Very good info.  Smiley Wink

Message 18 of 25
morgacj2004
Valued Contributor

I would disagree about a couple of items on your list. It can be a good move financially to combine student loans esp if you end up getting a better rate on the new loan. It can also lower your monthly payment and certainly make the loan easier to pay back. I have opened up quite a few accts since my BK was d/c including a couple of store cards. My scores have gone up and are now in the 685-710 range. I agree that having a low UT and paying off your CC every month are good ideas. Also paying all accts timely with NO late pays is a must!

AX Hilton Aspire 20k, AX Bonvoy Brilliant 15k, AX BCP 2k, AX Blue Bus Cash 15k, AX Delta Air Platinum 49k, (AU) AX Delta Gold 15k, AX Amazon Prime Bus 25k, BC Uber 29k, AKUSA FCU -10k , CITI AAdvantage Exec World Elite MC 16.5k, Discover (2) 16k, Kohls-4k, VS Comenity $3k, BofA AK Air Siggy 9.8k, WF Propel AX 5k, JCP $10k PFCU Plat Rewards Siggy 39.5k, PFCU Power Cash Rewards AX 10.5k, NFCU Flagship 50k, CLOC 15k, CITI Costco 9.5k, GAP VISA Synchrony $9k,Target MC 9k, Ulta MC Comenity 9k, Pay Pal 1k, CO Venture One 23k, US Bank Radisson Rewards Signature 10k, US Bank Fred Meyers World MC, 11k, US Bank Plat VISA 15.7k, VS Comenity 2k, 240k total available credit. Utiliz-2%, Current FICO EQ-724, EX 763,TU 802 ,Chapt 7 BK D/C 11-2012. Starting scores 520-550
Message 19 of 25
prosario69
Established Member

Can someone tell me what early exclusion in bk is? Does it apply to both types or just 13?

Starting Score: 633
Current Score: 606
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.