Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Things that are fun:

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Things that are fun:

Chasing down student loans after 5 years of BK to try to proactively get payments going again. And by fun, I mean torturous excruciating misery.

Had 5 loans serviced by AES at one point. 4 now show "no longer serviced by AES". Okay, so I go to my NDC page to see where they may have gone. Come up with First Marblehead and Citizen's bank each receiving about $15k from the BK. Call both, and they have no record of me, no idea what I'm talking about. Call AES, they tell me to call Citizen's at another number as well as NCT.

NCT says they have a record of one loan paid in full, no record of any loans past due, sold to other banks, nothing.

Citizen's says they have record of 2 loans that have gone to collection.

Is this legit? NDC says that I'd paid almost $30k towards student loan things during my Ch 13, but none paid in full, so how NCT has a paid in full loan of mine is a mystery. And how is something in collection already? I was just discharged yesterday? Where did all that money go? The account wasn't in collection before I filed.  And where is the fourth loan hiding? GAAAHHHH CREDIT MISERY!!!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
gnp57
Established Member

Re: Things that are fun:

You are not alone. My wife had trouble trying to track down who is holding her student loans. She can't log into the database because her name is different and only a creditor can change it. One of the loan holders referred her to another company that doesn't exist. It's crazy.

Ch 7 Discharge 10/5/15

Starting: EX 493; TU 505; EQ 528

3/2/16: EX 579; TU 570; EQ 585

Goal: mid 700s

Cap1 QS $300; Cap 1 Plat $500
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's sooo ridiculous. I just want to pay it off and not have problems. I've read on here about other people's loans being transferred back to the original servicer post Ch 13 discharge, but the lack of anyone having any sort of clue as to what I'm talking about when I call to inquire has me worried.
Good luck to your wife! The name change def complicates things. I'm glad I don't have to deal with that! But I have moved about 7 times in the last 5 years so I'm worried if something gets mailed, it might not make it to me.
Message 3 of 6
stinastina
Established Contributor

Hi, there, I'm the wife in question. You are going to have to keep chasing these loans down untl you find the right company and the sooner the better. If it is show paid on your credit report, that means nothing (especially since you know it's not paid). They do that during your bankruptcy ( either mark it deferred or paid). If you left it alone, the owner of the account will be reporting negative in a few months.

I'm not familiar with AES. Have you tried the US Dept of Educ ? Their number is 800-621-3115. They were able to tell me who owns all my loans. Good luck and keep us posted. So far I have rehabbed with 2 of the loan owners. I plan on consolidating which is supposed to really improve my scores in 3 months.

BK7 Discharge 1/16
10/15 ~ EQ: 406; TU: 520
10/18 ~ EX: 666; TU: 646; EQ: 652
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@stinastina wrote:

Hi, there, I'm the wife in question. You are going to have to keep chasing these loans down untl you find the right company and the sooner the better. If it is show paid on your credit report, that means nothing (especially since you know it's not paid). They do that during your bankruptcy ( either mark it deferred or paid). If you left it alone, the owner of the account will be reporting negative in a few months.

I'm not familiar with AES. Have you tried the US Dept of Educ ? Their number is 800-621-3115. They were able to tell me who owns all my loans. Good luck and keep us posted. So far I have rehabbed with 2 of the loan owners. I plan on consolidating which is supposed to really improve my scores in 3 months.

@I sent a message to AES today after playing phone charades the other day, and not being satisfied with the results. AES is a private loan servicer in PA, American Education Services. Hopefully on Monday I'll hear something back besides "someone has your loan" but really they don't. Someone has to have it! haha. jeez. I want to give them money! Find those @!*@ loans and lemme pay em! haha.

I used the Dept of Ed website to look for my loans, but only came up with my federal ones. Those are serviced by Vermont Student Assistance Corp. They have been very helpful/knowledgeable about the status of my loans throughout the whole BK ordeal. I think they're a much smaller company than AES though, so it's probably easier for them to keep track of things, haha! I may try to call DoE Monday, anyway. Maybe they have some way to find them?

Private student loans are the worst!!! Smiley Mad I had a really good interest rate before BK, though. Like 2%. Doubt I'll still have that now. Sigh.

Message 5 of 6
stinastina
Established Contributor

Have you heard anything from AES ? I spent all last week trying to set up something on a loan that is being serviced by my school (after 9 years). I called and asked to rehab the loan but the lady couldn't give me an affordable payment option and said she had to speak to her supervisor. I had to call every other day until I finally got her again and she pretended we never spoke. Eventually she offered me a deferment/hardship until October 2017 which is fine because it supposed to reflect positively on my cr and I plan to consolidate it with my other loans with the Dept of ed in 3 months. 

The only advice I can offer is to keep calling these people until they actually do something. I just got a letter from Penn Higher Ed threatening me with collection even though I sent in my rehab forms 2 weeks ago. I should have called them last week when I didn't get anything in the mail.

BK7 Discharge 1/16
10/15 ~ EQ: 406; TU: 520
10/18 ~ EX: 666; TU: 646; EQ: 652
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.