cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking of filing bankruptcy

tag
cjsdad78

Thinking of filing bankruptcy

If I file bankruptcy for a creditor that's not listed anywhere on my credit reports will it still show on my reports as a bankruptcy? There's currently a non wage judgement against me stemming from a car accident I had back in 2007. I can't afford an attorney to dispute it as I feel that it's incorrect, but they've taken my license and I need to get it back asap. My credit has greatly improved and from being in the low 500's to almost 700 and I'm rebuilding my life/credit. If I can file bankruptcy just for that creditor as all the others have been paid or have fallen off in the last 4 years or so. Can that be done?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

Re: Thinking of filing bankruptcy

If you read one of the threads above you will see someone posted that their zero-balance account, not listed in the bankruptcy schedule, is being reported as included in bankruptcy.

You cannot choose which creditor to list or not list [except some choose not to list zero-balance accounts] but some may be protected with exemptions or reaffirmations. Technically, all eligible debt that pre-existed the bankruptcy are covered by the bankruptcy filing and discharge. If you knowing ommitted a creditor and the trustee finds out, you could be in big trouble.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.