Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time Frame Question...

tag
Taoron
Frequent Contributor

Time Frame Question...

So I have a question for in regards to what you tell potential creditors about your bankruptcy and time frame.  Do you go by the date you filed for bankruptcy with the courts or the date of your discharge?   I know once you hit the multi year mark it's not really a big deal about what month it was discharged or filed, but since I'm <1 year into my BK I am curious.   I filed in April of 2014 and was discharged in July of 2014.  Do I state 10 months or 7 months when people ask about my bankruptcy?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: Time Frame Question...

@Taoron wrote:

So I have a question for in regards to what you tell potential creditors about your bankruptcy and time frame.  Do you go by the date you filed for bankruptcy with the courts or the date of your discharge?   I know once you hit the multi year mark it's not really a big deal about what month it was discharged or filed, but since I'm <1 year into my BK I am curious.   I filed in April of 2014 and was discharged in July of 2014.  Do I state 10 months or 7 months when people ask about my bankruptcy?

I go from file date most of the time. Depends on the question. Sometimes giving the discharge date is more efficient Smiley Tongue

Message 2 of 3
Taoron
Frequent Contributor

Re: Time Frame Question...

So, for example, do credit card companies look at your discharge date when they determine a min. length of time since bankruptcy or the file date?  

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.