Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tiny Update on a Filing for BK 7

tag
alanae1809
Established Member

Tiny Update on a Filing for BK 7

Hey all! Just wanted to give a little update on my progress so far.
I filed for bk7 2/25/14 & my 341 meeting is 4/2/14, just received a score watch update. My car loan now reports " included in bankruptcy " and apparently has given me a 17 point boost. I went from 457 to 474. I know it's not much but things can only go up from here Smiley Happy next up my creditors meeting then the countdown to discharge begins!
Filed BK7: 2/25
341 Meeting 4/3
Starting Fico Score (Before BK): 547
Fico Score (After BK Filing): 474
Current Fico Score: 515
Goal: 700
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
EMANAMS
Established Member

Re: Tiny Update on a Filing for BK 7

Good for you!! I'm not gonna lie.. The wait for the discharge was worse than that for the creditors meeting.. Probably because there's no definite date.. But that discharged feeling is oh so good!! Until then, do what you've been doing and continue reading the boards. Also, if you haven't already, create a cash-only budget. Not saying that you won't want to use credit to rebuild. You do. But I think that if you're already disciplined to live using your cash on hand, it'll be so much easier to control your credit.

Good luck on your rebuild journey!!!

Starting Score: EQ=589, TU=594, EX=??
Current Score: EQ=612, TU=594, EX=??
Goal Score: EQ=700, TU=700, EX=700
Longterm Goal Score: EQ=800, TU=800, EX=800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 10
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

@EMANAMS wrote:

Good for you!! I'm not gonna lie.. The wait for the discharge was worse than that for the creditors meeting.. Probably because there's no definite date.. But that discharged feeling is oh so good!! Until then, do what you've been doing and continue reading the boards. Also, if you haven't already, create a cash-only budget. Not saying that you won't want to use credit to rebuild. You do. But I think that if you're already disciplined to live using your cash on hand, it'll be so much easier to control your credit.

Good luck on your rebuild journey!!!

That is great advice and an ideal way to look at one's finances whether or not some credit is used. Thank you for that. It goes along nicely with my philosophy of never buying anything for which you cannot pay in full within 30 days of purchase.

Message 3 of 10
alanae1809
Established Member

Thanks!!! Yeah i definitely learned my lesson. I used to think that credit cards were used for when you didn't have the money for something. I had to totally change my way of thinking about credit! I honestly think it should be a mandatory class in high school that teaches you these things.

If I can't pay for it in cash, I clearly don't need it. Smiley Happy

341 Meeting 4/3
Message 4 of 10
SoulMaster
Established Contributor

Cash is King.

If you haven't read it yet, "Total Money Makeover" is a GREAT read.  Also, www.mint.com.  If you link your bank account to Mint, put everythig on debit, and never ever carry cash, you'll see where every penny goes and can allocate it to budgets and goals.

-SM

I am not an attorney and none of what I write should be construed as legal advice. For legal advice please consult an attorney.

Starting Score: ~470 preBK(8/2010)
Current Scores as of Late January 2016 All 700+. Last CR pull from a lender(housing) was mid-score 749.
Goal Score: 700+ - reached.
Message 5 of 10
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

@alanae1809 wrote:
Thanks!!! Yeah i definitely learned my lesson. I used to think that credit cards were used for when you didn't have the money for something. I had to totally change my way of thinking about credit! I honestly think it should be a mandatory class in high school that teaches you these things.

If I can't pay for it in cash, I clearly don't need it. Smiley Happy

Use of credit in emergency situations is totally acceptable in my opinion.

Re the thought of credit management classes in high school, I do not subscribe to that. I believe that such education is the responsibility of parents and those responsible for the minors. Also, adults prove over and over again that credit management is a challenge despite a lot of education material being at our finger tips. Finally, life happens! Sometimes stuff is unavoidable. My own financial difficulties originated in the collapse of the housing/mortgage industry. My wife still thinks that I broke the economy! lol

Message 6 of 10
collics1
Established Member

I disagree about parents teaching financial education.

It's not sex we're talking about. Some things parents don't know themselves. If my parents had taught me about credit management, I'd be worse off than I am now.

I don't even think my mother knows what "FICO" is.

There should 100% be a class on basic credit info and its effects. It would be more useful than World Lit (reading the Lord of the Rings in 11th grade has helped me in no way, shape, or form in my life). Everything to learn is at our fingertips to get on our own, but sometimes we do need to be forced to learn it.

Discharged 5/6/14
Current EQ FICO Score:620 (Nov '14)
Approvals: As of May
Cap1- $300, Cap1- $500, AutoLoan
Message 7 of 10
alanae1809
Established Member

Yeah, I have to agree with @collics1 . In theory, yes parents should be able to teach their children about credit & money management, but alot of them (including mine) arent anywhere near qualified to give any kind of advice. It doesnt have to be an intense course but some basic info about credit & money in general would help them become responsible adults & school is suppose to prepare you for the real world. heck if I was told to start an emergency fund when I was 18, I wouldnt be in this mess right now lol

341 Meeting 4/3
Message 8 of 10
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@alanae1809 wrote:

@Anonymous, I have to agree with @collics1 . In theory, yes parents should be able to teach their children about credit & money management, but alot of them (including mine) arent anywhere near qualified to give any kind of advice. It doesnt have to be an intense course but some basic info about credit & money in general would help them become responsible adults & school is suppose to prepare you for the real world. heck if I was told to start an emergency fund when I was 18, I wouldnt be in this mess right now lol

^^^Agree 100%. Right now it is left in the hands of the parents and you can see where we are as a nation (financially) Smiley Sad

Many of the parents around don't even track expenses or reconcile bank statements, much less understand the inner workings of FICO and credit scores.

Message 9 of 10
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

As a clarification, my perspective for my comments was one of what schools vs parents are RESPONSIBLE for. Not whether either is capable of doing a good job at that task. I happen to think that too much is expected of our schools simply because parents are not good at the task. It also does not explain why adults continue to do silly things when it comes to managing money. I seek out training and knowledge when I feel illequipped for a particul task. Shouldn't every adult do the same?

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.