Did you mean: 

To Combine, or not to Combine?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

To Combine, or not to Combine?

That, is the question.

A bit of background:

I filed BK7 in January 2016, discharged 4/27/2016.  That very same day I started my rebuild by apping for and receiving my first Capital One card.  It wasn't the best: Platinum $3k SL with a 23.99% APR, no rewards, no intro rate, no frills whatsoever really.  But I treated it well, and they treated me well, and 6 months later that card is a Quicksilver and has a $7.5k CL.  Since it had been 6 months, i decided WTH and played around in the pre-qualifier...

Lo and behold I was able to get a second card with FAR better terms - Quicksilver WEMC with 0% intro for 9 mos, 13.24% after, intro spend bonus, and a $10k SL!  Basically everything my first card was not, and more.

I now have the opportunity to combine these cards into a single Quicksilver WEMC with a $17.5k CL (I checked, only the donor card has to be 6 months old and the system let me get all the way to the last step in the process before I stopped it)

I would very much like to proceed with the combination, as I could use the larger CL to deal with some unexpected medical bills without hurting util as much.

HOWEVER...

Here is the issue - If I proceed with the combination, I will be closing my oldest open account.  Will this harm my rebuild more than help it?  This is very critical for me to know because I will NEED to obtain a car loan within the next 6 months (My current vehicle lease expires at the beginning of July, and it is my only vehicle).

HELP!!

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
oldman425
Frequent Contributor

Re: To Combine, or not to Combine?

Do you have to close the older account??

12/27/16 - Eq683 TU666 Ex681 04/05/17 Eq742 TU763 Ex757
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@oldman425 wrote:

Do you have to close the older account??

Yes, that's how Cap One combinations work.  The donor card closes, and it's CL gets added to the other card.  In this case the donor card woiuld be the older one.

I don't have the option to go the other way because one of the rules is that the donor card has to be a minimum of 6 months old, and I would never choose to go that way because the newer card has WAY better terms, and the terms of whichever card you keep remain unchanged.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am under the impression that even closed accounts factor into AAoA, so I don't think it will hurt you much. Plus your first QS is only about 3.5 months older than your NFCU Visa. I will be watching this thread with interest, as I will be doing the exact same combination of accounts in the not so distant future. Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 9
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

That, is the question.

A bit of background:

I filed BK7 in January 2016, discharged 4/27/2016.  That very same day I started my rebuild by apping for and receiving my first Capital One card.  It wasn't the best: Platinum $3k SL with a 23.99% APR, no rewards, no intro rate, no frills whatsoever really.  But I treated it well, and they treated me well, and 6 months later that card is a Quicksilver and has a $7.5k CL.  Since it had been 6 months, i decided WTH and played around in the pre-qualifier...

Lo and behold I was able to get a second card with FAR better terms - Quicksilver WEMC with 0% intro for 9 mos, 13.24% after, intro spend bonus, and a $10k SL!  Basically everything my first card was not, and more.

I now have the opportunity to combine these cards into a single Quicksilver WEMC with a $17.5k CL (I checked, only the donor card has to be 6 months old and the system let me get all the way to the last step in the process before I stopped it)

I would very much like to proceed with the combination, as I could use the larger CL to deal with some unexpected medical bills without hurting util as much.

HOWEVER...

Here is the issue - If I proceed with the combination, I will be closing my oldest open account.  Will this harm my rebuild more than help it?  This is very critical for me to know because I will NEED to obtain a car loan within the next 6 months (My current vehicle lease expires at the beginning of July, and it is my only vehicle).

HELP!!

If it were me, I would combine the accounts as the higher credit line will keep the utilization down. 

Did you run the credit simulator on Capital One's credit wise website to see the impact?

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Guyatthebeach wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

That, is the question.

A bit of background:

HOWEVER...

HELP!!

If it were me, I would combine the accounts as the higher credit line will keep the utilization down. 

Did you run the credit simulator on Capital One's credit wise website to see the impact?

As a matter of fact I did - it told me there would be no change to my VantageScoreSmiley Very HappyOf course, given the massive barrel of salt we all take our VantageScore™ with, I wasn't sure how much to trust it.  

Not to mention the fact that post-BK lending is less about the raw score and more about "We want to see X months of history post-DC", so I thought it would be wise to get some expert opinions before pulling the trigger on closing my oldest account and eliminating 3 months of my post-DC history

Message 6 of 9
Guyatthebeach
Valued Contributor

Tygerhawke,

If the credit simulator shows no adverse effect, I would definitely combine the cards.

Guyatthebeach
Message 7 of 9
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Combine the cards, if you're able too.

Closing the cards will not have any effect on you. It will remain POSITIVE on your reports for 10yrs from the closed date.

Closed acts arent added into utilization, but still add, and continue to add to your AHOA/AAOA...Smiley Wink
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@pizza1 wrote:
Combine the cards, if you're able too.

Closing the cards will not have any effect on you. It will remain POSITIVE on your reports for 10yrs from the closed date.

Closed acts arent added into utilization, but still add, and continue to add to your AHOA/AAOA...Smiley Wink

Waited till the statement cut with a zero balance, and DONE Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.