Established Member
mloupagu

Told cannot refinance mortgage due to BK

I filed chapter 13 in 2010 and it was discharged in 2011.   Never late on my mortgage, which is a FHA mortgage.    I heard about a streamline FHA refinance and went to my current lender, Chase.    As soon as they heard I filed BK, they said no.    Is that just Chase?    Where can I go to do this, any ideas or suggestions?

Valued Contributor
ezdriver

Re: Told cannot refinance mortgage due to BK

FHA's guideline may allow a refi but the actual lenders may still say no. Lenders superimpose their own criteria on top of FHA's criteria. I recommend that you talk to a mortgage broker as they deal with multiple lenders and most will do FHA guaranteed loans.

This week, FHA just reduced the waiting period for mortgage qualification after haveing had a foreclosure, short sale, bankruptcy. You can now qualify in as little as 12 months. Maybe the refi rules have been relaxed too.

Starting Score: 618
Scores on 10/9/13: EFX 652, XPN 669, TUC 662
Scores on 3/17/14: EFX 649, XPN 677, TUC 681
Goal Score: 720 ALL

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Established Contributor
SoulMaster

Re: Told cannot refinance mortgage due to BK

I just posted an answer to this in this thread over here:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Bankruptcy/Trying-to-refi/td-p/2404103

Basically, Post BK, you modify the original loan (w/o reaffirming) rather than get a new one.  Chase rules for mods (but read that whole post).

-SM

I am not an attorney and none of what I write should be construed as legal advice. For legal advice please consult an attorney.

Starting Score: ~470 preBK(8/2010)
Current Scores as of 3/15/14 All 700+. Last CR pull from a lender(housing) was mid-score 729.
Goal Score: 700+ - reached.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}