Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Touchy situation I'm in. Need some advice

tag
bstone
Frequent Contributor

Re: Touchy situation I'm in. Need some advice

I'm all for reporting her, even if she's not stealing she's using your card without your permission. This is called identity theft. However, why do you think she is stealing? The money is being paid back, so technically nothing is missing - from your card anyway.
NFCU Rewards - $18,000, NFCU Signature - $18,000, NFCU LOC - $15,000, Care Credit - $7,700, Lowe's - $6,400, Capital One QS - $5,000, Walmart - $5,000, Amazon - $4,000
Message 21 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Another crazy thing is why was the card reported lost and stolen a month before my discharge and also why is it listed chapter 7 on EQ and TU and only open on EX? This whole thing makes no freaking sense to me at all.

Message 22 of 30
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

You don't need any more advice from armchair lawyers on myFICO.  Talk to your own lawyer about getting in touch with your parents, or report it to the police.  You have enough advice from novices.  Take it with a grain of salt.  But do act.  The worst thing you can do is just let it slide.

Message 23 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree. And I did if you read through the posts I stated that. At this point I'm more looking for opinions on what others would do considering everything I have said. Do you confront her or report her. 

Message 24 of 30
notpaul
Regular Contributor

Sounds like someone is spending money on things they don't want the spouse to find out about to me. Considering her position of power and her clear history of covering up fraud, I would talk to the police before anyone else, don't tell her first. If shes willing to do this to you already, covering up her criminal activity isnt going to help her or anyone else. I'd be worried about what shes secretly doing to your other family members as well. ts a very sad story. This is going to blow up hard no matter how you handle it.
6/15 DC BK7, starting EQ FICO score 563

2/16 FICO EQ 661. TU 653, EX 660
Current CC Accounts: Capital One QS1 500; Overstock 1300; Care Credit 5000; Barclay Rewards MC 1300; JCPenney 3500; Amazon 3500; WalMart 3500; Target 500; PenFed Promise Visa 2000; PenFed CLOC 500; NFCU Flagship 12500; NFCU Platinum 8500; Credit One 1000.
Message 25 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yea that's what I'm thinking I'm gonna do.  I've thought about for a week and think it's the best corse of action myself.  I need to worry about myself.  I'm the victim and she wasn't thinking about me while she was doing it.  Gonna follow the fraud process today.  Just really sucks I have to put my family in complete turmoil.  And my Gma who is 91 is gonna be so upset.  This totally sucks. 

Message 26 of 30
mynameainttracy
Established Contributor

I hope you'll keep us updated on how this crazy story unfolds! 

Message 27 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well i chickened out again on going to the police.  I did go against my attorneys advice. I called and confronted my dad tonight. He said all those accounts were closed and didn't have a clue about what i was talking about.  I said well im gonna have to file fraud and he said call my step mom and talk to her. I said well would if its her using it. He said he would talk to her when he got home. I haven't heard from yet. So im not sure what she said. I tried calling her as well and she didn't answer. So the ball is rolling i assume it ill go down tomorrow for sure. I cant express how crazy this last week has been for me. Im truly just ready to deal with it. It has made me feel like i was the one breaking the law. 

Message 28 of 30
mynameainttracy
Established Contributor

I really think you have done the right thing by getting the word out that something isn't right. IMO if the police is the next step you so be it. You have cya on the family aspect of it.

Message 29 of 30
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

Hope everything gets fixed, if it were me I would at least file a police report so that way you have some documentation in case it's ever needed.

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 30 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.