cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transunion no longer granting Early Exclusions for bankruptcy?

tag
gabby1120
Established Member

Transunion no longer granting Early Exclusions for bankruptcy?

I have a discharged Chapter 13 scheduled to fall off in September, and have read up on previous threads about this here on myfico.com, and so called Transunion twice today to request an early exclusion. Both supervisors (I called two separate times) said that TU doesn't grant EEs for bankruptcy but that I could file a dispute stating the item as inaccurate. Has their policy changed in the last couple of years? Any advice about what to do, or word on whether someone has recently requested an Early Exclusion and had it granted?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Re: Transunion no longer granting Early Exclusions for bankruptcy?

Well, perhaps filing  dispute is the better way to go? If you have a Credit Karma account they have "Direct Dispute" for TU. My 7 derogatory accounts included in my 2010 BK7 were due to fall of my report from April through August, so I filed a Direct Dispute from within my CK account in early April and they even have a reason to select: "This account is too old to be reported". TU removed them all within a few days, and my TU FICO jumped from 677 to 720.

Message 2 of 7
gabby1120
Established Member

That's great--congratulations! That's exactly what I ended up doing--filing through Credit Karma. They didn't have an option for 'too old' for the actual BK, however--just for the accounts included in BK (and one of them was ineligible to dispute online b/c I'd previously disputed it before). I just don't understand why my TU acct is a solid 20 points lower at 656 than EQ (668) and EX (673)--they're reporting two of the IIB accounts as derogatory, while the other CRAs haven't. I wonder if I'll see a score bump or if the dispute won't be resolved since I listed 'verify details' for the BK...

Message 3 of 7
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@gabby1120 wrote:

That's great--congratulations! That's exactly what I ended up doing--filing through Credit Karma. They didn't have an option for 'too old' for the actual BK, however--just for the accounts included in BK (and one of them was ineligible to dispute online b/c I'd previously disputed it before). I just don't understand why my TU acct is a solid 20 points lower at 656 than EQ (668) and EX (673)--they're reporting two of the IIB accounts as derogatory, while the other CRAs haven't. I wonder if I'll see a score bump or if the dispute won't be resolved since I listed 'verify details' for the BK...

Are those scores FICO or Credit Karma Vantage scores? I almost added that getting IIB accounts removed tanks Vantage scores for some reason. After I got TU to early exclude my IIB accounts while my TU FICO jumped to 720 while my CK & Cap One CreditWise Vantage score tanked from 722 to 700. Confusing & annoying, but it's the FICO scores that count.

But if I'm reading correctly your TU score still has 2 IIB derog accounts? Then that's the reason it's lower. With no IIB accounts my TU FICO score is 720. With 2 IIB accounts my CK FICO is 688, and with EX still reporting 5 IIB it is also 688 Fico. I disputed those also for EQ & EX, but I've read here that EQ is hit or miss for early exclusion, while EX rarely does.

Message 4 of 7
gabby1120
Established Member

Thanks for weighing in! My scores provided were FICO scores--my TU vantage/CK score is 641 and 654 for EQ, respectively. For some reason only TU was reporting 2 accounts as derogatory (both were IIB)--EQ reports them, but had them marked as 'wage earner plan.' Question: did you dispute your actual bankruptcy or ask them to verify your public record in any way, or did you just dispute the IIB accounts? I'm now starting to panic a bit that I might have shot myself in the foot and am wondering if I can cancel a CK-initiated dispute because I checked the 'dispute--contains numerous inaccuracies' box for the bankruptcy itself...(It didn't make sense to me to dispute online for 'too old' for accounts IIB but not the BK itself, but maybe that's how they grant EEs? I'm lost in the woods here...)

Message 5 of 7
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

No, I didn't disspute or question the BK public record, BK7s stay on for 10 years. Mine is due to fall off in Sept. 2020, I might try for EE in early sumer 2020. I just disputed the IIB accounts as they were due to fall off in amonth or two and EQ was already removed some on their own.They all had late payments as my attorney made we wait 90 days to file as I had been using checks from one CC to make minimum payments on others, and those could have been excluded from BK by the creditors as cash advances made prior to 90 days to filing. But he told me to stop paying everyone so I did. So my TU FICO always had the line "serious delinquencies"; with them all early removed now my Fico doesn't have that line, and a 43 point jump in score. It was worth the dispute..

I just logged into CK and looked at disputing my BK7 public record (to see the options, and then CXL). Looks like your only choices are 1=Ownership, I have no knowledge of this public record, or:

2- Accuracy

- Amount incorrect

- This public record contains multiple inaccuracies, please verify accuracy of all data.

- Item paid prior to judgment, or never went to judgment

- Public record vacated, dismissed, or filed in error.

I'd say your choce of 'multiple inaccuracies' is the best choice, they may decide since it falls off in a few months just EE & not bother verifying. Good luck!

Message 6 of 7
gabby1120
Established Member

Thank you! I just tried to verify the BK13 information myself via PACER and ndc.org, using various combinations of my first, middle, last names, the docket number, and so on, and no records are coming up anywhere. How hard will the TU CSRs actually try to verify it if I can't seem to find my own records after two hours online myself? Fingers crossed--I will definitely update when I hear anything from TU.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.