cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tried to get credit after BK

tag
LB08

Tried to get credit after BK

I'm new to this board and have a few questions. I filed bk on January 3rd and it was discharged on April 8th. I tried to get credit tonight with QVC through WebBank and it was denied. They pulled my report through Equifax and I have a score of 599. 

Can you provide me suggestions on improving my credit after BK? 

Thank you!

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
shorrttyycm1
Frequent Contributor

Re: Tried to get credit after BK

Welcome! I would suggest starting with a secured credit card through your local credit union. Capital One also has a good secured card. Use it and always pif. After about 4-6 months you should be okay to apply for a unsecured with them. Also try for a secured personal loan with a local credit union. Don't go pull happy ;-). That's what i did...i applied for everything under the sun before reading these boards and ended up with 12-15 pulls but only netted 3 small subprime, fee laced accounts at the time.

I would stay away from anything prime and READ READ READ!!! These forums have been a blessing and helped me recover after my chapter 7 2 years ago.

Good luck...and be patient...its gnna take a while

Starting Score: 530
3-2013Score: TU 680 EQ 683 EXP 679 FAKO
Current Score (lender pull): TU 693 EQ 649 EXP 699 Lender Pull
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 21
Countingpennies
Established Contributor

Before you app for anything else, get your 3 credit reports from annualcreditreport.com, or the individual CRAs. You need to make sure all your BK accounts are reporting correctly. The CRAs sometimes need a little push in this regard after BK.
Message 3 of 21
shorrttyycm1
Frequent Contributor

I agree with countingpennies, that's the first thing to do...its been a while ;-)

Starting Score: 530
3-2013Score: TU 680 EQ 683 EXP 679 FAKO
Current Score (lender pull): TU 693 EQ 649 EXP 699 Lender Pull
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 21
vtskier
Valued Member

cap one has been good to me even though i included them in my bk.

Message 5 of 21
LB08

Thank you all for your advice. I'm going to request my credit reports in June, that way it will be at least 60 days since the BK closed. I'll review it to make sure everything is showing BK. I'm not going to do a subprime card the interest rate is way to high-36% plus a monthly maintenance fee of $14.95. To me that is way to high interest and a maintenance fee is out of the question! I think I'll wait at least six month to apply for a card and if all else fail, I'll get a secure card. On my way to better credit!

Message 6 of 21
Countingpennies
Established Contributor

Avoid First Premier, Credit One and Matrix, those are the ones with the high fees.

Capital One is a good card to start with post-BK. You may even be approved for an unsecured, after your report cleanup. (I was approved 2 months out.) Just be sure you apply for the Mastercard. The CapOne Visa's are for excellent credit. The interest rate shouldn't matter if you are using the card for rebuilding. Don't charge anything if you don't have the cash to pay for it, then pay it off in full every month. Your score will go up if you stay focused and take it one step at a time.

And I agree, READ, READ, READ.
Message 7 of 21
shols44
Frequent Contributor

Cosign 100% on capone! Got a secured card with $49 deposit 2 weeks out, and an unsecured with 500L 2 months later. That has grown to 1500 via EO. 

Start with Capone and a local CU that you confirm is BK friendly. A few months in add a 3rd card and your initial rebuild is in full swing.

Starting Score: 501
Current Score: 754 EQ,TU 745,EX 750
Goal Score: 800

Message 8 of 21
patf

My husband has tried repeatedly to get a Capital One secured card.  We have been turned down 3 times since the BK filing last July.  His credit score is around 580, but its up over 50 points since we filed.

We are trying to rebuild our credit.  Nothing seems to be working.  How long should we wait to appy again?  The ridiculous thing is we have the money for a secured account, so I can't understand why they won't approve it.  We just want to use our own money to build our credit.

Message 9 of 21
shols44
Frequent Contributor

@patf wrote:

My husband has tried repeatedly to get a Capital One secured card.  We have been turned down 3 times since the BK filing last July.  His credit score is around 580, but its up over 50 points since we filed.

We are trying to rebuild our credit.  Nothing seems to be working.  How long should we wait to appy again?  The ridiculous thing is we have the money for a secured account, so I can't understand why they won't approve it.  We just want to use our own money to build our credit.

I can't figure out why capitalone will deny you three times! Have you called to recon? It could help if you spoke with a credit analyst. The other option is to join your local CU right away...just ask about their BK policy for secured products first. If they will approve you, open a credit builder loan with your savings deposit. Then take the CB loan an open a secured credit card. This should get the ball rolling. 

If you haven't been approved for any credit products at all since discharge, I'd recommend fingerhut as well. 

Starting Score: 501
Current Score: 754 EQ,TU 745,EX 750
Goal Score: 800

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.