cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tried to open CU but denied due to CHEX SYS...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tried to open CU but denied due to CHEX SYS...

I already have USAA checking/savings for over 10 years but sometimes it's pain in the a$$ to mail deposit to Texas. So I tried to open a local credit union but they denied it due to Chex System. I requested a report from Chex System which I got in the mail today.

It was from other larger CU that reported

Date Reported: 10/17/2014

Reported for: ABUSE OF OVERDRAFT PROTECTION

Closure Status: UNPAID

Closure Status Date: 10/17/2014

Of course, I burned and included this larger CU for 15k credit card and $200 something in OD protection in my Chapter  BK (I told them to stop accepting any OD since they said they were going to freeze/close my account but they kept accepting auto-debit twice from my Insurance policy which I had to force Insurance to switch to my USAA for the upteeth time!! I was going to pay this larger CU $200ish but my attorney told me it not to pay them since it is included in BK so I let it go.

So, now I can't open (looks like) any banks because of Chex System. I did NOT abuse overdraft protection! So what are my options? When will this fall off my Chex System report if left unpaid? Any advice(s) are welcome!

Thanks!

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

Re: Tried to open CU but denied due to CHEX SYS...

@Anonymous wrote:

I already have USAA checking/savings for over 10 years but sometimes it's pain in the a$$ to mail deposit to Texas. So I tried to open a local credit union but they denied it due to Chex System. I requested a report from Chex System which I got in the mail today.

It was from other larger CU that reported

Date Reported: 10/17/2014

Reported for: ABUSE OF OVERDRAFT PROTECTION

Closure Status: UNPAID

Closure Status Date: 10/17/2014

Of course, I burned and included this larger CU for 15k credit card and $200 something in OD protection in my Chapter  BK (I told them to stop accepting any OD since they said they were going to freeze/close my account but they kept accepting auto-debit twice from my Insurance policy which I had to force Insurance to switch to my USAA for the upteeth time!! I was going to pay this larger CU $200ish but my attorney told me it not to pay them since it is included in BK so I let it go.

So, now I can't open (looks like) any banks because of Chex System. I did NOT abuse overdraft protection! So what are my options? When will this fall off my Chex System report if left unpaid? Any advice(s) are welcome!

Thanks!

I have read several reports of people getting their Chex systems entries cleared by sending a copy of the BK paperwork to Chex showing that that debt was discharged.  Chex routinely then just deletes the entry entirely.

Please try it.  Based on what others have said, I believe it will work for you.

Message 2 of 12
ashjt2011
Regular Contributor

I can verify that this does indeed work. Had two accounts on my Chex system, one was something about overdrafts and the other was a complete charge off. I sent in my chapter 7 paperwork and got something back two weeks later saying everything was removed from my Chex systems. didn't have a problem bringing this in and getting a checking at my local credit union.
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

CH-7-Rebuilding,

Thanks! I'll give it a try!

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 5 of 12
DiamondDan73
Regular Contributor

It does work. I removed 4 Chex accounts deleted.
Started 11/2020 EQ 549 TU 580 EX 559
Currently 12/2020 EQ 541 TU 606 EX 576
2021 FICO Goal 680 on all 3
Message 6 of 12
notpaul
Regular Contributor

I faxed them a copy of my DC, and they deleted everything.
6/15 DC BK7, starting EQ FICO score 563

2/16 FICO EQ 661. TU 653, EX 660
Current CC Accounts: Capital One QS1 500; Overstock 1300; Care Credit 5000; Barclay Rewards MC 1300; JCPenney 3500; Amazon 3500; WalMart 3500; Target 500; PenFed Promise Visa 2000; PenFed CLOC 500; NFCU Flagship 12500; NFCU Platinum 8500; Credit One 1000.
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Before I send them DC paper, does it have to list debt discharged to that checking account/overdraft protection?

Thanks all!

Message 8 of 12
notpaul
Regular Contributor

That one account I had on it wasn't in my bk7. After reading about it on here, I requested a report, then when I got it I basically just faxed them a hand written letter asking them to delete the one account listed, attached the discharge order, and a few weeks later they returned a letter in the mail letting me know the report was updated. There is nothing on my chex report now.
6/15 DC BK7, starting EQ FICO score 563

2/16 FICO EQ 661. TU 653, EX 660
Current CC Accounts: Capital One QS1 500; Overstock 1300; Care Credit 5000; Barclay Rewards MC 1300; JCPenney 3500; Amazon 3500; WalMart 3500; Target 500; PenFed Promise Visa 2000; PenFed CLOC 500; NFCU Flagship 12500; NFCU Platinum 8500; Credit One 1000.
Message 9 of 12
Safe4Me2
New Contributor

Great news!
Silly question, would this work with an account that wasn't included in Ch7? The reason why I didn't include it was because it was a joint account with my mom and wanted to let sleeping dogs lie. I didn't want them to start hounding my mother. Now that we both are in a better position, I wound't mind sending them a letter or even offering a settlement. I just want that account removed from Chex Systems.
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.