Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trustee says I have a surplus ch7?

tag
michaels88369
Frequent Contributor

Trustee says I have a surplus ch7?

I received a letter in the mail today for a debt harrasment case that the trustee opened up against one of my creditors. I claimed the $1000 exemption on this case and the letter says they settled for $2700. So I asked her when this would be dispursed to me and she goes "we will send you the check once the case is closed". I filed 03-31-2015 and have been discharged since 07-07-2015. I did not reaffirm my home and she sold the home to an investor. She then went on to tell me they are going to close the case as a surplus chapter 7. I didnt have a clue what this meant and asked her what this exactly entailed, She explained that there were only a few creditors who requested a claim against my bk and that it only added to a few hundred dollars. I know cap1 sent in 2 claims totaling $1600 and my old credit union sent one in for $401 and verizon for $161.  She then explains that they collected over $11,500 in selling of my home and this debt harrasment case and after sending the creditors their claimed amounts, she would be sending me a check for the balance. She told me this would be close to $7000. Is this normal??? Sorry for rambling on as I have been up for 18 hours at work.

Credit conscience!
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

Re: Trustee says I have a surplus ch7?

Sounds about right. Look at the math. Funds raised is greater than claims to be paid. Unusual yes. 

Message 2 of 6
elim
Senior Contributor

beats the heck out owing 7k.  congrats?

Message 3 of 6
michaels88369
Frequent Contributor

Thanks! I just never even thought this kind of thing would happen. I discharged about 200k worth of debts. House, consigned car, credit cards, medical bills, ect. Didn't think this would happen in my case especially after it almost being a year after filing and case still open.
Credit conscience!
Message 4 of 6
holmesnmanny
Contributor

I would definitely carefully scrutize the debt amounts that the creditors said you owed. 

Pro Se Chapter 7 discharged July 2015
Message 5 of 6
michaels88369
Frequent Contributor

Trustee said today after administrative fees and paying the claims I'll get over 6,000 back
Credit conscience!
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.