Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to establish credit

tag
Sassy_Taurus
Frequent Contributor

Trying to establish credit

I recieved my discharge on January 6, 2014. I surrendered my car during my bk so I applied for a new car and was financed on a 2013 Dodge Journey.

I've applied for Cap 1 and Credit 1 and was denied. I applied for a card with my credit union and was denied. Cap 1 was IIB and credit one I've never had even though they said I have a charged off account with them.

I was looking forward to a fresh start n a chance to repair my credit. I don't see how I can do that if everyone keeps denying me.

I do have a $500 uniform loan that my credit union reports on.

Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Basspro2
Valued Member

Re: Trying to establish credit

First thing I would do is grab my credit reports and go over them with a fine tooth comb and make sure they are reporting everything right. And if not get them fixed to where they are. And then I would follow Soulmaster's guide on rebuilding. Just a thought. Believe me you will get back in with credit. It just takes time.

Message 2 of 4
somotao
Frequent Contributor

@Basspro2 wrote:

First thing I would do is grab my credit reports and go over them with a fine tooth comb and make sure they are reporting everything right. And if not get them fixed to where they are. And then I would follow Soulmaster's guide on rebuilding. Just a thought. Believe me you will get back in with credit. It just takes time.

+1

Agreed....take a look at your credit reports and understand what is on them. 

Starting Score: 500s
Current Score: EQ: 708myFICO(7/15/17), TU: 721myFICO(7/15/17), EX: 701myFICO(7/15/17)
Goal Score: 750

Wallet: Discover IT $50300, Capital One Platinum $17000, Barclays Rewards $6700, Walmart $6000, Amazon Store Card $6000 Chase Sapphire Preferred $5000, Chase Sapphire Reserve $10000, Bank of America Cash Rewards $500. BestBuy $10000
Message 3 of 4
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

@Sassy_Taurus wrote:

I recieved my discharge on January 6, 2014. I surrendered my car during my bk so I applied for a new car and was financed on a 2013 Dodge Journey.

I've applied for Cap 1 and Credit 1 and was denied. I applied for a card with my credit union and was denied. Cap 1 was IIB and credit one I've never had even though they said I have a charged off account with them.

I was looking forward to a fresh start n a chance to repair my credit. I don't see how I can do that if everyone keeps denying me.

I do have a $500 uniform loan that my credit union reports on.

Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Others have recommended that you obtain each of your three credit reports and review every line of reporting for every tradeline listed in the report. Have you done that yet?

Since you have already tried and be denied for unsecured credit, I recommend that you do not apply for any more. I started with secured credit cards followed by a secured installment loan for one year. Today is the 1st anniversary of my Ch 7 discharge .... and I have some unsecured credit, a refinanced auto loan and I'm buying a house [contract signed, mortgage app being processed, house under construction]. It can be done.

Try First Progress Bank - I got two secured credit cards with one online app. Your approval for these cards is not contingent on your current credit situation.

I also got a secured credit card with a local credit union [$500 deposit].

Keep us updated and think positive.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.