Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA Checking

tag
remharri
Established Member

USAA Checking

Hello, I’m getting ready to file ch 7 and have a question regarding my checking. My checking is through USAA and so is my car insurance. Im not burning them for anything. Will they shut down my checking and usage of the app and online. I’ve banked with them since my early 20s and am now in my 30s so I’ve been a member a very long time. Not sure that even matters.

I’ve tried to search for answers but could get a very good one.

Thank you!
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: USAA Checking

Hello Remharri,

Recovering form DC13 here and a USAA member.  I would suggest moving your checking account.  My DH and I moved ours to new bank. We only had access to insurance through app.  This was the only access allowed due to filing BK.

Best of luck and it does get better.

RainyCity

Message 2 of 18
remharri
Established Member

Did you guys owe them anything or burn them through BK?

I didn't owe them anything.

Message 3 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Someone with experience with USAA may have the best answer for you. My best guess is that you will be fine if you did not burn them for anything. My accounts that were not burn survived just fine. But my accounts at institutions that were burned (state credit union) were frozen and eventually closed out. I fortunately had the sense to move all my direct deposits and money to other accounts prior to filing.

My guess is you will be OK, but that is a guess. Hopefully someone who used USAA prior to filing will come along here.

Message 4 of 18
remharri
Established Member

I hope someone with experience will chime in as well. Now that I’ve filed my attorney said I can open up another banking account if I want and I’m considering opening one with NFCU.
Message 5 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I recently filed a chapter 7 (April 2017)and I too have USAA. I still have my account. To my understanding they can’t close your checking account for filing a BK.
Message 6 of 18
Kayann
Established Member

I've had USAA for 20 years. I filed Chapter 7 a few months ago. I did include them but they never touched my insurance (home, car, life and personal liability) or checking and savings accounts. They assured me that they won't do that. No problems.

Message 7 of 18
jhb
New Contributor

I filed Chapter 7 in January of this year, and USAA did not touch my insurance, savings, or checking accounts. I even opened up an American Express secured card with them a couple of months after the bankruptcy was finalized in May. I burned them for about $15,000. I have full acces to the regular website as well. I've been with them for 18 years now.

Message 8 of 18
remharri
Established Member

Good to hear and thank you for the responses.

I would love to get a secured card with them as they really do treat their members well. So I’ll try them and also NFCU. I don’t have my 341 meeting until Jan. 26th so I’m far off and hoping everything goes well with that.

Can’t wait to start rebuilding as I need to move next year and hope I don’t run into issues with that.
Message 9 of 18
remharri
Established Member

Also, I’ve beeen with USAA for 16 so hopefully loyalty and longevity will help me.
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.