Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USAA secured CC?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

USAA secured CC?

When my chapter 7 is completed. Should I qualify for a secured CC from USAA since I have auto and home insurance through them? Does anyone know if they report secured CC as normal CC?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
thornback
Senior Contributor

Re: USAA secured CC?

I think, given you are an existing member, you should qualify. I have auto with them and when I applied for the secured card they didn't even hard pull my credit. It took nearly 3 weeks to actually receive the card though. They are very slow on that end.

They do report as secured, but that means nothing scorewise and the card looks exactly like their unsecured counterparts.

Just keep in mind, unlike those from other lenders, their secured card will never graduate to unsecured and they offer no rewards. You can, however, increase the credit line whenever you wish by adding more money to the CD. The CD is a 2 year term - the penalty for cancelling before then is minor, and the variable rate interest accrued and added to your CD balance isn't much to brag about. They also charge a $35 annual fee - so that's something you may want to consider.

Even though I've since gathered a few unsecured prime cards, I still have my USAA secured with the original $500 - I added my nephew as an AU on it to get him started with managing credit. So far, so good. Figure I'll hang on to it for another year.
Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think you should NOT get a secured card from USAA they are pretty bad. Get one from NFCU or a local CU. The NFCU one has no AF and you earn rewards. The USAA one has an AF and you do not earn rewards. The NFCU card will convert to a regular card down the line, the USAA will not. 

Message 3 of 4
Scupra
Super Contributor

Definitely agree with Tydawg on this one.
Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.