cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to obtain employment in my industry (need to in order to get into MBA program)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unable to obtain employment in my industry (need to in order to get into MBA program)

Hello all,
I am scared to death. I am (was) employed in the field of acct. and finance. After severe credit problems due to a live in fiance (now ex) opening a cc in my name w/a credit line of 15K and my stupidity in trusting him thus not checking credit reports, and subsequently a car accident with a tractor trailer truck leaving me in bed for three months, brace for three more, an inability to work and tons of medical bills, I filed bankruptcy. Because I was unable to qualify for a job in accounting or finance due to my poor credit (and about to be sued) I was advised by a number of different people, hr friend, atty's, etc. that I would increase my chances of finding employment if I were to file bankruptcy as I would not be in a position of temptation to illegally obtain funds (which isn't even in my genes anyway). So I filed chapter 7 bankruptcy which was discharged two months ago.

It's now become impossible to find a job in my industry or anything remotely close such as clerical acct./ finance (for which a college degree is not even needed). I know I've been lied to by a number of people--too many inconsistencies as to why I can't keep temp. jobs going onto permanent. A financial analyst job I was virtually guaranteed by the CFO suddenly disappeared (with a physician placement company--perfect job since I've also got all my pre-med education w/a 4.0 gpa and would be dealing w/physicians), again with an explanation from HR as to why I was deleted from the pool of applicants which I later found to be a lie. They've still not filled this position after three months. My credit reports are all frozen so none of these companies have the liberty of using credit as an excuse thus far. I've just gotten the strangest, most inconsistent excuses everywhere I turn or after every successful interview.

I have very good references, a very good education as well as gpa's and have always been exceptional at my work. In short, I'm an excellent employee yet nobody will now look past the bankruptcy. Temp/job placement agencies aren't even getting me interviews which is very strange; it's as if I'm at the bottom of the stack since I've been upfront with all placement agencies about my bankruptcy thus far. I've been in management in the past in financial analysis and now cannot even obtain a job as a beginning accountant, an acct. clerical position, or a level 1 financial analyst. My IT knowledge is more than adequate; it's quite good.

I need to get back into my field in order to qualify for a part time MBA program. I need my MBA to get anywhere at all after this bankruptcy. Being 43, I don't have a lot of time to waste regarding my career. I know everyone is steering clear of me. I'll leave an interview thinking "I've got it!" And next thing you know I'm treated like a pariah.

Rather than helping me with a fresh start, this is going to leave me homeless with no hope of an actual career (I have no family , children or husband so I've always dreamed and wanted an overtime, all consuming career). I graduated with highest honors twice and always did so well until this whole mess. Worst of all it's getting to me mentally. I've tried being upfront about it, I've tried waiting to find out when they check my credit (since it's frozen) and then tell them about it. Either way the door slams regardless of the reasons for my bankruptcy. I would have paid off the debts had I been able to actually get a job with the initial bad credit!!!!

Does anyone have any suggestions? My career was ruined before I filed bankruptcy no doubt, but I'm now seeing that no matter what, I've had it. I can't afford to go to school for my MBA full time. I have no money. I can't believe that my life is as it is compared to what it once was. Perhaps I never should have filed, but again...nobody was giving me a job using my credit as an excuse. Now they very carefully sidestep the reasons (but as I said I do catch inconsistencies and lies) since they legally can't discriminate against bankruptcies.

Is there any legal way I can handle this? Am I done? Is this it? Like I said, this is getting to me mentally. I'm not the person I once was. If it were in my power and I had a job or could have worked right after the accident I would gladly have begun making payments again once back on my feet. I have no couch, only one dresser, finally a bed recently, finally a tv after 6 months---I'm paying for this. I sold my house and all my furniture to pay back what I could. I'm not trying to avoid anything--just do what I need to to get back into my career!!

I think this may be hopeless but do I have any legal recourse (considering my credit score truly IS in the pits now), or any creative suggestions as to how I can cover this time period affording full time MBA until this blows over a bit?

Thank you--I'm becoming a mess. This is NOT a fresh start. It's the beginning of the end, it seems.

Charmquark
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
fuggy

Re: Unable to obtain employment in my industry (need to in order to get into MBA program)

Hello Charm, I have no advice for you but I just wanted to tell you to keep your chin up. It sounds like you are a very strong person and are willing to do what it takes to accomplish your goals. I too understand what it feels like to live in the shadow of my former self and I can assure you that this too will pass, just keep a positive attitude. Best of luck to you!
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Unable to obtain employment in my industry (need to in order to get into MBA program)

You need to call the CRA's to un-freeze your account (id's required).  My daughter and son-in-law filed for bankcruptcy at age 25 in 2005 for a fresh start and succeeded (both college grads). They had shied away from financial services companies (acctg grad and IT grad) and have found good paying jobs in the manufacturing sector and counsulting field paying 70k and above.  Hence, I cannot believe your bad luck.  I had a friend, who had a 450 score (poor credit, but did not file for bankcruptcy at all) and was denied a job as treasury analyst at an insurance company even if the VP Finance backed her up (she was a temp for six months).  The HR denial was upfront - bad credit.  She had changed her career options since that time (now a licensed practical nurse and earning lots more money).  My advice- get a consumer lawyer to help you with the CRA's (un-freeze accounts) and dispute incorrect reportings - accounts should be IIB.  Good luck to you.
Message 3 of 6
recoverychick
Regular Contributor

Something similar happened to me at 42.  I was in banking when I was forced to file CH 13 and lost my job because of it.  I'm in Construction Cost Controls now and I really enjoy it.  I'm a consultant.  Started at 65k 4 years ago and now at 107K.  It sounds weird, but for my career, it was the best thing that could have happened.

I have an MBA,too.  You might consider applying for the regular program instead of the executive one. You don't have to be in the field.  It will take longer to complete. 

Soon, there will be lots of infrastructure programs/projects if there aren't currently.  The days of "easy money" contracting are gone.  Hang in there and check the construction job boards.  Also, network. 

Good luck and keep the faith.  Some hardships are a blessing in disguise and remember everything has a beginning, a middle and an endSmiley Happy.

5 years BK reporting down.  2 to go!  Keep the faith. 

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree they cannot discriminate against you just because you have a bk it is against the law. Rebuild your credit that may help

Message 5 of 6
capitalkid
Regular Contributor

I have full understanding of what you are talking about.  And it began for me around the same time period as this post was made.  I too filed BK, it was discharged Nov 11 2005. 

So I will share my ordeal with you, so you do not feel alone in this mess. 

Leading to BK -

Age 27 -28 My son was born, Birth/Maternity cost = $218,000

I had (what I thought of as) great insurance through my job.

Blue Cross PPO 80/20 [IN NETWORK]

$6000 OOP Annual Costs,

$35.00 Per Visit Co-pay,

$1000.00 Annual Deductible

Premium =$115.00 Month  Group insurance plan

My hourly Wage - $10.00 + OT (when available)

Line of work = Beer Merchandiser

Length of time in industry = 12 years

Prior to my sons birth I obtained a "verbal" authorization from Blue Cross for the hospital closest to where I lived.  However, AFTER, the birth, it was "found" that the hospital nor the OBGYN was actually covered, they were "Out Of Network". 

Blue cross refused to cover 1 penny.  Not one. 

By the time I figured it out it was too late, the damage had already been done and the accounts were already in CO status on the CRA's.  I was a single parent by this time, as my sons father was too much of a "Playboy"  and had moved on to bigger fish by then.  Cant foresee everything. 

My maternity leave ended in April 2004, I went back to work.  I worked all the time, 12-15 hour days and what didn't get eating up in taxes, went to pay my exorbitant Daycare fees.  Daycare was another matter entirely.  I had no family help, my mother was 200 miles away and not interested in involvement, my father was 800 miles away and worked 40 hours week himself.  My brother was a college student (25)and we lived in the same town, but being that I was a mom now, he also had no interest in being around a baby.  So, I had my inner network of friends and no one had ever experienced an Out Of Network issue with their health insurance before.  So I was at a loss for advice.  I did seek out the County Daycare Help, the results which were as follows "The county daycare block grant money is only eligible for people who received TANF.  There are no funds for those who are not receiving assistance".  Essentially, I was advised that if I quit my job, and went on welfare and THEN I would qualify to receive help for daycare. 

I kept working.  Hoping to at some point have a break and be able to catch up on daycare charges, so I could start to pay down these bills-Or Something.  

April 2005 -

I had been in contact with my ex, and offered to buy him a car if he could pick our son up from daycare(that was his excuse for not "helping") so I could re-allocate my OT money to bills and not daycare.

Daycare was .25 mile from where he worked, so I did not see this as such a burden.

He agreed, I took my tax return and bought him a car, 2500.00.  I delivered the car, and he was to pick our son up from daycare the next day in accordance with the agreement.  He never showed, but kept the car.  I received a call from daycare saying no one had picked up my son, and thus the OT continues.

So I was out the tax return and out the car and STILL had to come up with extra money for daycare, which ran around $1200 month due to having regular OT.  But it canceled itself out.  Even so, I had been at my job soooo long and in the line of work I was in you cant "not" work OT if told to do so.  Store owners get more upset over their Beer delivery not showing up, more so  than any other delivery. 

2 weeks later -

I received notice that the Med Bills had received judgment against me, and they received a garnishment for around 49% of my income.  At that percentage, I would no longer be able to afford my rent.  Set to start next pay period. 

So I called my dad, and asked If I could come home and live for a while while I filed BK.

This was major because I had relocated to where I was and had network of work friends and loved my network, but it was down to the wire.  SO I quit my job, moved home and immediately began my search for my BK lawyer.  I had consult in May 2005, It was filed in July and discharged in Nov. 

So, this is where things get sticky. 

October 2005 -

So, a friend of mine calls me up and says I can come stay with her, she has 3 bedrooms, if I wanted to move back and I could look for work and help pay half rent.  At this time I had gone down and gotten on TANF, and so I had an income, small, so I figured alright well that sounds great.  I'll be back to work in no time.

After the move, I applied everywhere within my line of work first as my old job would not take me back, the stated reason "you didn't give notice". I thought this was funny because, they had taken back all kinds of employees that suddenly quit, sometimes more than 2X. I had a sick record of 6X in 8 years, even with a child. I always went to work. So, ok I didn't stew on that too long.

Feb 2006 -

I picked up Temp work at a picture factory, but that made me very sick.  I was in a basement for 10 hours a day with bubbling ink vats(chems).  It is my opinion that this caused all my ailments, but cannot be proven as I was only temp.  (and the ailments cleared up after about a week clear of that place)

May 2006 -

Next I got a call from a home health care place that agreed to give me 12 hours a week, = 4 clients.  Position was for Home Health Aid(laundry,cooking,cleaning,pharmacy P/U)

I paid gas, travel time was not paid, I provided the car and insurance.  It was crap really. Liked the clients though, but I got way used. 

Then, I didn't find this out until it was too late, but we were paid Once a month.  1 check every 3 weeks, @ 25 days.  what???????????  I had inquired at 2 weeks when the first check would come in and they told me I would have to wait 2 pay periods for my first check to generate which = 1.5 months. 

Rent is due once a month? what?  I cant work here!

At this point my roommate was moving in with her boyfriend.  I did not qualify for 3X the amount of rent Anywhere, so, I had to pack it in and go back to my dads.  I did not foresee this at all.  I could not figure out why with all the contacts that I had, positive references, and rock solid work record since 16 years old, no criminal background, or DUI's why I could not get work???

Even my prior Job gave good reference for me, I verified this with one Water company I applied to and had three interviews with.  No one mentioned the BK. NO One. 

2009-2010

By this time I had invested in an RV, got married, and had re-educated myself.

Between 2009-2010 I re-educated in several different areas with certificate degrees.

Forklift Driver Certificate

Food Handling Certificate

First Aid Certificate

CPR Certificate

4 Self Improvement Certificates

Nutritional Counseling Certificate.

I figured re-educating in something else would help my odds of employment, thats what they tell you to do in the new economy-re-educate, so I did. The certs were all good for 2 years and I figured Id get something in two years. Not On Bite.

I traveled all over looking for work 2010-2011. 4 different states, email apps and hand delivered apps.

There was a hospital I made ongoing apps with in Oregon, and seemed like as soon as my App went through, I got an Email disqualifying me yet no reason code.Only Please feel free reapply”.

SO I used this one as a test. I applied for everything that did not require Upper Education degree. And each and every one I was rejected for , no matter what it was. I thought about it, and the application was given denial status within 1 hour of submition on all accounts.  In this limited time frame, this means that my app was machine rejected, by set application standards set by the HR Department in charge of applicant selection.  There was no "badmouthing" by former employers, or reference verification going on.  There was something on my app that was getting it kicked out right away. By way of virtual process of elimination

The Only derogatory thing behind my name                                     - Bankruptcy-.

So I went into see HR, and what I found was HR was “Virtual”. There was no HR department. NO one to speak with, only a computer somewhere in virtual land. So I called the number and it went to an outside call center who re-directed the phone call to an answering service that then calls you back from some where else.

I got a call from a women who could not confirm or deny that I was discarded for BK, or for having been out of work for more then the now “3 Month Standard”.

Present -

I still live with my dad. I doubt I will ever find work again in this lifetime. I have no reason to believe in this theory. Between the 3 month rule and a BK, I am of the belief that there is no job for me.

However, my credit score is the best it has ever been, I am more educated on Everything around me, I have managed to PIF for everything I own and I have both vehicle security, and home security(I invested in a 5th wheel-saved up PIF) and I own both outright, and now bank in the black with my account every month and the daycare that cost me $14,400 a year Is no longer raising my child.

I stopped looking for work in Dec 2011, 6 years later. I will no longer pursue that path. I have a meager income, and have downsized my life to be completely manageable . Doing more with less. I am married now as well, and we are going to buy land in the near future and pursue our own avenues there.

So, I understand. I also gather there are more of us out there as well.

Good luck

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.