Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unbelievable tactic from a discharged creditor

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unbelievable tactic from a discharged creditor

So I get a notification my Equifax score drastically drops, 52 points. 

I check my report, low and behold a creditor that was included in my chapter 13 with a discharge 4 years ago randomly decides to update their accounts on my report to include a balance/past due amount totaling over $42,000!!!

This is conveniently added by the way two months before it's supposed to fall of my report! Now I don't know if this is a simple issue of the person inputting the data into Equifax being incompetent, as Transunion was also updated, but with a zero balance. 

Hopefully Equifax corrects this quickly. That's an eyesore on my report. 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Taoron
Frequent Contributor

Re: Unbelievable tactic from a discharged creditor

@Anonymous wrote:

So I get a notification my Equifax score drastically drops, 52 points. 

I check my report, low and behold a creditor that was included in my chapter 13 with a discharge 4 years ago randomly decides to update their accounts on my report to include a balance/past due amount totaling over $42,000!!!

This is conveniently added by the way two months before it's supposed to fall of my report! Now I don't know if this is a simple issue of the person inputting the data into Equifax being incompetent, as Transunion was also updated, but with a zero balance. 

Hopefully Equifax corrects this quickly. That's an eyesore on my report. 

Ugh.  Time to dispute.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ditto on the dispute.

There seems to be a rash of this going on with Equifax lately.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Ditto on the dispute.

There seems to be a rash of this going on with Equifax lately.

Yeah, I disputed immediately. I sure hope my current creditors didn't look at my Equifax report over the last week. This inaccuracy ruined my outstanding debt calculations and completely screwed up my uitlization on that report. 

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh, it is going around with EQ.  One that I've had to dispute 3 times now because it gets removed, then readded with incorrect information....they just change the status from IIB to Collections for $29,000.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.