cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update: 12 months post-discharge. Useful info for people applying for credit.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update: 12 months post-discharge. Useful info for people applying for credit.

I am now past the 12-month mark since my discharge. I have been closely monitoring my credit scores and my progress. I would like to thank everyone on this forum for the wealth of knowledge that has been provided to me. I don't know what I would have done without you guys!

Here are the highlights of my journey, thus far...

• 5/2016: Received Chapter 7 Bankruptcy Discharge
  • 5/2016: Approved for a $2,000 Capital One Platinum MasterCard. I did burn Capital One in my bankruptcy, but my accounts were charged off at least 2 years prior to receiving my bankruptcy discharge.
  • 11/2016: Approved for a $1,500 Barclay Rewards MasterCard. I had never been issued a Barclay credit card prior to filing my bankruptcy.
  • 11/2016: Approved for a $2,000 Dell Store Card
  • 12/2016: Approved for a $3,000 Capital One Quicksilver MasterCard
  • 5/2017: Approved for a $200 Discover It Secured Card. I had been denied for the unsecured student version of the card twice before, and I received an email with the secured card offer, which I jumped on, given their reputation. 
  • 6/2017: Approved for a $5,900 NFCU Cash Rewards Visa.

VERY IMPORTANT: I wasted a couple of hard pulls on my credit report by applying for this card. I had previously read about people on this forum getting NFCU credit cards anywhere between 3-6 months post-discharge. After the last denial that I received, I sent them a secure message to find out why I was being denied. My utilization was low and my scores were in the mid-600's, so I thought I would have at least gotten an approval with a low credit limit.

I was told that the reason that I was being denied was that NFCU now has an underwriting policy that you have to be at least 12 months post-discharge before you can be approved for one of their credit cards. I had also applied for a $500 Checking Line of Credit with each of my previous credit card applications, as well as my most recent application for which I was approved, and I was denied every single time.

• 6/2017: Approved for a $1,000 Capital One Sony Visa
  • 6/2017: Approved for a $400 Walmart Store Card (I had this card before my bankruptcy and it eventually graduated to the Discover version of the card, so that's why I applied for it. Plus I wanted to get back in with Synchrony Bank, as I had been denied a few times post-discharge.

I'm done applying for credit for awhile, but I just wanted to thank all of you for your help, and provide some useful information on NFCU. My current credit limits for all of my accounts are in my signature.

Also, does anyone know the time frame for getting approved for the Checking Line of Credit? I was told by a representative that the underwriting department for the CLoC is different from the one that handles credit cards. Therefore, the approval criterion is different. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Update: 12 months post-discharge. Useful info for people applying for credit.

Congrats on your progress! You are correct on the different criterion regarding the Cloc... they pull EQ when I applied 7 mos ago with scores in the mid 600s. I asked for 5k and they approved for my asking amount. At the time I was only about 8 mos post discharge so I was too chicken to ask for the full amount 😬Just last month I asked for 12k and they approved too no questions asked! Looking at your current scores I don't see why you wouldn't be approved. GL though if you decide to go that route of applying.

Message 2 of 3
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

Re: Update: 12 months post-discharge. Useful info for people applying for credit.

I was DC'd in September and was approved for $5000 CLOC in March. My score's were around 650 at the time with about 6 months of rebuilding.

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.