cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using credit line before Chapter 7 discharge?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Using credit line before Chapter 7 discharge?

Hi everyone! I've already filed for Chapter 7 and my hearing with the trustee is in a little over two weeks. I have a credit line with PayPal Credit that I haven't touched in over 1 1/2 years and thought it would be a good way to start rebuilding my credit. Does anyone know if this is possible (I also have an Old Navy CC that I haven't used in about two years and thought of using that as another way to rebuild my credit too) or do I need to wait until I meet with the trustee or even discharge? I've put in a call to my attorney about this but I've been told she's been in court and have yet to hear from her. Was wondering if anyone here had an answer. Thank you.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
0REDSOX7
Valued Contributor

Re: Using credit line before Chapter 7 discharge?

Have these accounts not been closed by the creditor?  Many times, they get notice of public filings and will close the accounts automatically.

Now, if they are not closed, then GREAT.  However, it would be unwise to use them until you are discharged.  Some here will disagree, but, don't give the trustee any reason to dismiss your case.  Technically, any debt incurred after your filing with the courts would not be allowed to be discharged, but, I would not risk it, personally.

BK Discharge 2/11/14

Currently in the garden.
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Neither account has been closed. I even called PayPal Credit yesterday to verify the account was still open and they said yes, it's still active. I don't know about Old Navy (and that's fine by me). 

Message 3 of 12
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

Wait for your discharge then start your rebuild.

Message 4 of 12
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

Agree with all of the above...

Don't give the trustee a reason to dismiss your case.  Wait till discharged... then start your rebuild.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 5 of 12
beezer32
Regular Contributor

Wait. I wouldn't focus on the rebuild just yet. After discharge (or shortly before) run your credit reports and focus on clean up, THEN try and open a few rebuilding tradelines. A focus on rebuilding right now would be fruitless IMO. Your scores will tank, rise and fluctuate while your in active BK. Save your rebuilding efforts for later. I also agree with not upsetting the trustee. Your attorney will likely advise that it's not a good idea to incur new debt anyhow.

Message 6 of 12
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Yes, don't take a chance messing up your BK by going into debt before discharge. Also, PayPal Credit won't help your rebuild - it doesn't report ":good" usage to the credit bureaus, only derogatory usage (late, CO).

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks so much everyone! I'm anxious to start rebuilding, but I'll hold off. After all, what's a couple more months.

Message 8 of 12
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi everyone! I've already filed for Chapter 7 and my hearing with the trustee is in a little over two weeks. I have a credit line with PayPal Credit that I haven't touched in over 1 1/2 years and thought it would be a good way to start rebuilding my credit. Does anyone know if this is possible (I also have an Old Navy CC that I haven't used in about two years and thought of using that as another way to rebuild my credit too) or do I need to wait until I meet with the trustee or even discharge? I've put in a call to my attorney about this but I've been told she's been in court and have yet to hear from her. Was wondering if anyone here had an answer. Thank you.

Usually the 341 is 30 days from the date of your Bk filing date.

You are two weeks away from your 341 so you filed Bk approximately 2 weeks ago.

It is waaayyyy to early to start thinking about using cards that may or may not have been discharged in your current Bk. The creditors do close out zero balance cards (sometimes) when you file but it isn't instant. Sometimes it takes a while to process the filing on your accounts. Sometimes creditors make a mistake and leave the accounts open when they are zero balance, there is no way to know.

However, as all the above have posted, it is not wise to start charging up your cards during your bk or to start applying for new credit. Wait until you have your discharge in hand (or on PACER).

In the meantime, the best thing you can do is rework your budget and start a savings plan so when you are discharged you have new habits that don't include running up debt on credit cards.

Message 9 of 12
mynameainttracy
Established Contributor

I closed my paypal credit account long ago, but when i used it they DID NOT report to the CRA's. This was when it was Bill Me Later and I closed it in 2012. It may have changed, but I would find out before I bothered using it as a rebuilding tool.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.