cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very Important To Check Your Credit Reports!!!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Very Important To Check Your Credit Reports!!!!

Hello Everyone!

So I filed for Chapter 7 early July, I am scheduled for discharge mid October. I checked all three credit reports and to my surprise half of the accounts listed did not show that they had been included in my bankruptcy. The Experian report did not even show the Bankruptcy as a Public Record,. I disputed everything to have it listed as included, and will do it again at discharge to get the accounts removed. Just please take this as a warning - check your credit reports!!!!

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
0REDSOX7
Valued Contributor

Re: Very Important To Check Your Credit Reports!!!!

Do know that creditors are not required to update the tradelines on your reports until you've been granted a discharge (or dismissed).
BK Discharge 2/11/14

Currently in the garden.
Message 2 of 11
9CLINE
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the info, I was looking over hubby's reports and saw accts. that were in his BK Ch7 on there reported as charge offs and collections.He is currently trying to get his corrected and his was discharged back in 08'.

So, you are definitely on the right track, there is no need to have situation made worse than it is by having to pay twice for the same accts.

Good Luck !!!

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

0RedSox7 - they are required to report accurately. IIB is an option therefore I want my accounts to show the current status which is IIB.

9Cline - Thank you very much and good job!

There are people who start getting credit offers while in Petition Status. This occurs because creditors pay to have access to credit reports that meet certain criteria. I only know this because I did credit and collections for Bank of America for years. I just want to make sure that everything is accurate, I encourage everyone to do the same! I will keep you updated on the results of the dispute.
Message 4 of 11
0REDSOX7
Valued Contributor

They are not required to report anything on your TL until after you've been discharged or dismissed.

Many creditors will do it prior, but are not legally required to do so.

I'm not saying that what you are advocating is wrong. I think it's absolutely smart to do and did it myself, because I needed two car loans post discharge.

With that said, I want to say that you you may run into resistance with some lenders (I had several that refused to until discharged).

I asked my attorney about (as well a my consumer finance attorney who I was meeting with in something else) said that once you are discharged must it be updated. That's the law.
BK Discharge 2/11/14

Currently in the garden.
Message 5 of 11
Scupra
Super Contributor

@0REDSOX7 wrote:
They are not required to report anything on your TL until after you've been discharged or dismissed.

Many creditors will do it prior, but are not legally required to do so.

I'm not saying that what you are advocating is wrong. I think it's absolutely smart to do and did it myself, because I needed two car loans post discharge.

With that said, I want to say that you you may run into resistance with some lenders (I had several that refused to until discharged).

I asked my attorney about (as well a my consumer finance attorney who I was meeting with in something else) said that once you are discharged must it be updated. That's the law.

Solid advice/answer

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I understand. I'm still going to put up a heck of a fight.
Message 7 of 11
Scupra
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I understand. I'm still going to put up a heck of a fight.

Dont blame you! I did the same thing haha. Most will update so good luck! You are doing the best thing you can right now. 

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

checked my TransUnion and Experian disputes in the mail today disputing inquiries and accounts included in BK awaiting replies
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.