cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Credit cards are good to apply after BK 7???

tag
Lavanidosa
Valued Member

What Credit cards are good to apply after BK 7???

I have a question? My husband and I filled BK7 on Mar. 24th, 2014 and we have are hearing on this weeks April 16th, 2014 but after receiving are discharged whats credit cards are good to apply to rebuild are credit ( secured and unsecured) i hope someone could help me with this i don't know were to start thanks !!! and also i had a Kohl's charge card but i put it on my BK 7 how long do i need to wait to apply again to get a Kohl's Charge card ? PLEASE HELP ME!

We also have been receiving pre approve for auto loans but we don't want to get one right now or any time soon maybe like in 5 years after we build are credit and we want to buy a house in the future any advise anyone ???

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
somotao
Frequent Contributor

Re: What Credit cards are good to apply after BK 7???

It depends on if you which cards you included in your BK7 Filing.

Capital One is a great starter card and will grow with you.

GECRB cards such as walmart, lowes, amazon are also decent cards

You should find a local credit union that is BK friendly and see if they will also provide credit cards.

Discover and Barclays are also BK friendly.

The road to recovery is a marathon and not a sprint....you should only apply for credit cards you need and do not apply for everything at once. Stay away from American Express, Citi, Bank of America as these are not BK friendly.

if you have not done so alreay there is a fantastic guide you should read though

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Bankruptcy/HOW-TO-From-BK7-discharge-to-700-in-24-months-or-less/td-...

The folks on this forum are great and if you can spend the time to read through it, you'll find a lot of helpful advice.

Starting Score: 500s
Current Score: EQ: 708myFICO(7/15/17), TU: 721myFICO(7/15/17), EX: 701myFICO(7/15/17)
Goal Score: 750

Wallet: Discover IT $50300, Capital One Platinum $17000, Barclays Rewards $6700, Walmart $6000, Amazon Store Card $6000 Chase Sapphire Preferred $5000, Chase Sapphire Reserve $10000, Bank of America Cash Rewards $500. BestBuy $10000
Message 2 of 24
Lavanidosa
Valued Member

Thank you somotao i will go read that and thanks for the info that really helps me to go and apply to one or 2 credit cards only cause i don't want to regret it later on for getting so many credit cards and then not be able to pay them off that why i only want to get 2 the max and i hope with those 2 i could help to build my credit and yes I'm going to go to a credit union bank to check that out...

Message 3 of 24
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Here is what I did and it has worked out well so far...

Buy all three reports through MyFico for $60 (look for promo codes for cheaper)

This will give you your reports and scores.

Buy a membership to Experian for $14.95 or $19.95 per month.

This will allow you to pull your credit report every day for free (for the monthly fee.)

Once your BK is discharged on your Experian report, review all of your accounts.

You should have no current deliquientcies.  

Everything should be "included in BK - $0 Balance.)

Call each account that does not report this within a week or two.

Most of my accounts zeroed out before the discharge.

Once your Experian report says you have $0 debt, wait a week a pull all three reports again from myFico.

If your scores average close to 600 or more....

Apply for a Capital One Unsecured Platinum Card Online and NIOTHING ELSE.

My scores averaged 600 (long credit history) within a month of discharge and got a $3000 unsecured card.

I even discharged a lost lawsuit with Capital One

I got denied at JCPenny and Walmart and did not discharge anything with them - figure that out.

If you get approved - Congrats! You are on your way to better credit.

If not, check with your local credit unions on getting a Secured Credit Card and a Secured Installment Loan.

Get one of each.

Pay the installment loan weekly for 3 weeks instead of mothly so you are always ahead of the payment deadline.

Buy gas and nothing else on the credit card and pay it off BEFORE the statement even arrives.

After all of your accounts have been zereoed out, you have less than 4 inquiries, and you have had a secured credit card and a secured installment loan, apply again for Capital One Unsecured.  If you get it - great - if not....

Rinse and repeat 6 months later.

Good luck.

BTW - There is life after BK.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 4 of 24
Lavanidosa
Valued Member

Thank you so much for your Advice Shooting-For-800 i will do that cause i really dont want alot of credit card i only want one or two max... i will follow ur advice thank again Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 24
0REDSOX7
Valued Contributor

I started with Credit One.  I also went with two installment loans (vehicles).

Couldn't do Capital One or GECRB as I burned them.  I tried, but they all refused.  Luckily for me, Capital One didn't do a hard pull when I applied - just a straight rejection saying I had too much outstanding obligations with them.

BK Discharge 2/11/14

Currently in the garden.
Message 6 of 24
eagle2013
Established Contributor

I would suggest credit sesame daily puller for $9.99 in alternative to Experian's. Credit Sesame is fairly accurate to my EX Fico, and this seems to be the experience of others as well.

Message 7 of 24
Lavanidosa
Valued Member

Thanks 0REDSOX7 thanks the only credit card i burned was Kohls Charge but i did not have other ones only that one but i don't know if i should apply again after my discharged cause what if im not approved but thanks for ur advice that means a lot to me cause i really need help cause i don't want to do a mistake and then after that not be able to rebuild my credit 

But if u get denied on my first 2 or 3 cards that i'm going to apply for i'm just going to wait maybe like 6 months after that to apply and see what happens cause i don't want to do so many inquiries and then later on NOT be able to get any cards...

the cards i'm thinking of applying is Kohls, Capital One and Maybe 1 more but not sure which one!!! it depends who gives me credit 

Good Luck everyone out there and Thanks to everyone who had send me a message on replying my question...

Message 8 of 24
Lavanidosa
Valued Member

Eagle2013 Thank you so much i will check that out...   When did you do BK7 cause i see you have really good credit cards and when was ur discharged? 

Message 9 of 24
Scupra
Super Contributor

@Lavanidosa wrote:

Thanks 0REDSOX7 thanks the only credit card i burned was Kohls Charge but i did not have other ones only that one but i don't know if i should apply again after my discharged cause what if im not approved but thanks for ur advice that means a lot to me cause i really need help cause i don't want to do a mistake and then after that not be able to rebuild my credit 

But if u get denied on my first 2 or 3 cards that i'm going to apply for i'm just going to wait maybe like 6 months after that to apply and see what happens cause i don't want to do so many inquiries and then later on NOT be able to get any cards...

the cards i'm thinking of applying is Kohls, Capital One and Maybe 1 more but not sure which one!!! it depends who gives me credit 

Good Luck everyone out there and Thanks to everyone who had send me a message on replying my question...

I would suggest waiting at least 6 months to re-apply for a Kohls card. Better to be safe since you burned them. Take your time and be patient, everything will work out! It seems impossible at first, but I promise it gets better.

edit: Beyond that, if you get a card with rewards I dont think you will need any store cards. Cash back is better than some 10% coupons you get after shopping Smiley Happy

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.