Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What I've learned in a year

tag
bunga7
Regular Contributor

What I've learned in a year

For those of you just starting out on this long, slow journey back fom Bankruptcy, i've learned a few things, mostly by reading and following advice here...

1) you don't NEED more than 2 credit cards to get you on the road to recovery. But 2 cards and an installment loan or two will do it.

2) I follow the 700 in 24 months plan as close as I can, but as is stated so many times...everyone is different, and your milage may vary. I see people approved for cards that I get denied for. It used to frustrate me, especially starting out, but now I know I'm on the right track

3) personally, I think a credit union is the way to go...it doesn;t have to be Navy or the others that are so BK friendly. Open an account with a local CU...get a relationship started. There's nothing like going to your finanacial institution and having them remember WHO you are.

4) NO ONE can explain the credit report services...ou might as well not fret about them. Use them as a GUIDE ( a way to track progress) and nothing more. I've had a national bank tell me that their service is so close to the actual score, and then run my score and it's no where close. I canceled the reporting afterwards.

5) SAVE...something I rarely did. I know have 10K in the bank (from one yer of saving) set aside for down payment on a house in another year. And vacation in Dec.

6) There are many things we want, but do we NEED? I always ask myself, can I pay it off before the bill cuts. If not, maybe I don't nee it this month.

7) Keep your credit card balances to no more than 9% reporting and have at least one report  balance every month.

As Crockett said on "Miami Vice"...Chill out. Take it slow, don't sweat the little things. I'm at 673, 663, and 660 for scores just 12 months from BK7.  700 is in my sites!

Starting Score 12/2013: 547 EQ; 529 EX; 540 TU
Current Score: 3/8/16 711 EQ Fico; 710 EX (CU hard pull); 701 TU Fico
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Scupra
Super Contributor

Re: What I've learned in a year

Congratulations on your hard work paying off. Keep it up!

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 2 of 16
bunga7
Regular Contributor

I've been a good boy with credit lately. I did apply for a Walmart card and was approved in October. Have been paying all cards down to $0 every month while letting one card report  less than 9% total. Two weeks ago my 2-year lab retreiver hurt her knee (tore CCL). and the day after christmas  she tore it a little more. So she's having surgery next week. I have the money in savings to cover it (that's no nice to be able to say finally). Today while checking my checking account online with my CU, there was a notice about a loan [rogram that was ending...A "whatever" loan for $1,000 with no credit pull. So I stopped to the CU and asked an officer about it...12 monthly payments (similar to a rebuild loan). I told her I could pay for the surgery out of savings, but we know once it's gone how hard it is to build it back up again.

We talked it over and decided that in the long run, it should help my credit score to have a signature loan, and the payments are paid off the top of my bi-weekly direct deposits. So, I'm approved for another $1,000 loan. Later, I was going through the info from the vet and they had literatrure about CareCredit. I burned GEMoney so didn't figure I had a chnace, but apped anyway and was approved for $1200. I can go with 6 mos. no interest, or 24 mos. at 14.9%. Not too bad, considering. So, I think I'll use the CU loan as a credit builder, just stick the money in savings and make payments with it, and use carecredit for the dog. It's nice to have some choices again.

Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats!  Very hopeful for a rebuild that is similar. 

One point you hit on was about cash reserves.  I think the "silver lining" of sorts of having bad credit is that it forces you to pay cash.  In the past few years it has trained my Husband and I to really save and think about our purchases.  After our Jan 2015 Chapt. 7 discharge, we feel having an emergency fund and then a seperate cash savings account will set us up for success quicker then having a wallet full of new credit cards.  Cash is truly power today!

Good Luck in 2015!

Message 4 of 16
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@bunga7 wrote:

I've been a good boy with credit lately. I did apply for a Walmart card and was approved in October. Have been paying all cards down to $0 every month while letting one card report  less than 9% total. Two weeks ago my 2-year lab retreiver hurt her knee (tore CCL). and the day after christmas  she tore it a little more. So she's having surgery next week. I have the money in savings to cover it (that's no nice to be able to say finally). Today while checking my checking account online with my CU, there was a notice about a loan [rogram that was ending...A "whatever" loan for $1,000 with no credit pull. So I stopped to the CU and asked an officer about it...12 monthly payments (similar to a rebuild loan). I told her I could pay for the surgery out of savings, but we know once it's gone how hard it is to build it back up again.

We talked it over and decided that in the long run, it should help my credit score to have a signature loan, and the payments are paid off the top of my bi-weekly direct deposits. So, I'm approved for another $1,000 loan. Later, I was going through the info from the vet and they had literatrure about CareCredit. I burned GEMoney so didn't figure I had a chnace, but apped anyway and was approved for $1200. I can go with 6 mos. no interest, or 24 mos. at 14.9%. Not too bad, considering. So, I think I'll use the CU loan as a credit builder, just stick the money in savings and make payments with it, and use carecredit for the dog. It's nice to have some choices again.

Just an FYI, it pays to keep track of who is the actual credit grantor for store & other credit accounts. GE Money Bank is now Synchrony Bank, and they are the credit grantor for WalMart store cards, so your payment history on your WalMart card gave you an "in" for the CareCredit for veterinary care from GE/Synchrony. And sounds like you made some excellent choices for credit rebuilding with the CU installment loan & CreditCare.And yeah, I opened a savings account at a CU in late Nov. and they were bugging me about a "whatever" loan for the holidays, but I'm saving them for a car loan after I refi my mortgage.

Message 5 of 16
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@DaveInAZ wrote:

Just an FYI, it pays to keep track of who is the actual credit grantor for store & other credit accounts. GE Money Bank is now Synchrony Bank, and they are the credit grantor for WalMart store cards, so your payment history on your WalMart card gave you an "in" for the CareCredit for veterinary care from GE/Synchrony. 

Yep... I did exactly that when I opened my Barclay Apple in 9/13... Sallie Mae was what I wanted all along but I knew my profile wasn't there yet.  So I used that card to build a history with them... and 16 months later I got my Sallie Mae... then transferred the limit over and closed the Apple.

GE/Synchrony helped me get started last year with 2 gas cards as well as Walmart and Care Credit.  A good bank to help with rebuilds, they just aren't all that nice when it comes to CLI.  It seems way too random... I've got $150 each on my gas cards and $300 on Walmart in a year... and have seen people with worse profiles getting CLI every 4 months.

Can't explain it.  At any rate, I've since closed the 2 gas cards, don't need them now that I have Sallie Mae.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 6 of 16
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@TRC_WA wrote:

Yep... I did exactly that when I opened my Barclay Apple in 9/13... Sallie Mae was what I wanted all along but I knew my profile wasn't there yet.  So I used that card to build a history with them... and 16 months later I got my Sallie Mae... then transferred the limit over and closed the Apple.

GE/Synchrony helped me get started last year with 2 gas cards as well as Walmart and Care Credit.  A good bank to help with rebuilds, they just aren't all that nice when it comes to CLI.  It seems way too random... I've got $150 each on my gas cards and $300 on Walmart in a year... and have seen people with worse profiles getting CLI every 4 months.

Can't explain it.  At any rate, I've since closed the 2 gas cards, don't need them now that I have Sallie Mae.

What's so great about the Sallie Mae CC?, I just heard of it recently. I got a Barclays Rewards MC w/$2500 CL in 4/12, now up to $5700 CL, so I should be good for a Sallie Mae. And yeah, Synchrony is pretty BK forgiving, but slow with CL increases - I got a WM card w/$1400 CL in 2/13 and it took them 14 months to raise it to $1600, but then only 2 months to raise it to $2400.

My "champion" CC is my Best Buy Rewards MC, opened in 10/11 (less than 1 yr. after BK7 DC) from HSBC with a paltry $500 CL and $60 annual fee. Cap One bought the HSBC subprime CCs from them a few months later and they raised the CL to $1k. Then Citi bought the Best Buy CCs and they raised the CL to $2k last fall. Cap One gave me a QS card w/$10k limit  last Oct., I'm conviced the post BK payment history on the BB MC helped that. The Citi Double Points CC is the card I want, but their pre-qualifier doesn't match a card for me, I probably need to get the mortgage refi & then car loan on my CR for several months before they'll condsider me, they were my 2nd biggest creditor in my BK7 DC, and they aren't very BK forgiving.

Message 7 of 16
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@DaveInAZ wrote:

@TRC_WA wrote:

What's so great about the Sallie Mae CC?, I just heard of it recently. I got a Barclays Rewards MC w/$2500 CL in 4/12, now up to $5700 CL, so I should be good for a Sallie Mae. 

Sallie Mae seems to be the Barclaycard that everyone wants.

https://www.salliemae.com/credit-cards/sallie-mae-card/

$25 statement credit on first card use

5% CB on first $250 in groceries per month

5% CB on first $250 in gas per month

5% CB on first $750 in books per month (that means anything from Amazon.com)

1% CB on all other purchases

No AF

Mine hasn't arrived yet... expecting it any day.  I think you'd be good with the Barclays history... let us know if you app.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 8 of 16
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@TRC_WA wrote:

Sallie Mae seems to be the Barclaycard that everyone wants.

https://www.salliemae.com/credit-cards/sallie-mae-card/

$25 statement credit on first card use

5% CB on first $250 in groceries per month

5% CB on first $250 in gas per month

5% CB on first $750 in books per month (that means anything from Amazon.com)

1% CB on all other purchases

No AF

Mine hasn't arrived yet... expecting it any day.  I think you'd be good with the Barclays history... let us know if you app.

- I knew about the $25 credit for 1st use within 3 months, but I got spoiled by Cap One's $100 credit for charging $500+ within 3 months. But that 5% CB on $250 in groceries & gas per month is tempting. I swore I was going to garden until the mortgage refi and then car loan, but I'll think about it. Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 16
bunga7
Regular Contributor

@DaveInAZ wrote:

@bunga7 wrote:

Just an FYI, it pays to keep track of who is the actual credit grantor for store & other credit accounts. GE Money Bank is now Synchrony Bank, and they are the credit grantor for WalMart store cards, so your payment history on your WalMart card gave you an "in" for the CareCredit for veterinary care from GE/Synchrony. And sounds like you made some excellent choices for credit rebuilding with the CU installment loan & CreditCare.And yeah, I opened a savings account at a CU in late Nov. and they were bugging me about a "whatever" loan for the holidays, but I'm saving them for a car loan after I refi my mortgage.

Thank you for the comments. I did know that GE Money was now basically Synchrony. I was surprised because I'd only had the Walmart card for three months, but I do use the card for some household things, and pay it off regularly so I think that looks good with them. I'm doing the Carecredit thing as a 6 month-no interest deal. I'm teaching an extra course, so I know I could pay it off in two months of needed, What I haven't decided is whether it would be better to pay it off early, or go the full 6 months (really 5.5 months so I know I'm not close to getting dinged.) Any thoughts from anyone which way would look better for credit report or futue credit?

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.