Regular Contributor
Believe1970

What happens after the last payment is made in a chapter 13 in NYS?

Hi, just wondering if anyone knows what the process is after the last payment in a chapter 13 payment in NYS?

Starting Score: 0
Current Score: 0
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Regular Contributor
StartingLifeOver

Re: What happens after the last payment is made in a chapter 13 in NYS?

Not sure about NY, but the consensus seems to be you just have to wait. The trustee's office has to finalize the paperwork in your case and the process seems to take forever. I received several documents before the actual discharge but it came eventually. Congratulations on making it out! It's such a hard feat to accomplish!
NFCU Cash Rewards $14,000/FNBO Platinum $4,600/Best Buy Citibank $2,500/Care Credit $7,600/TJ Maxx $600/Neiman Marcus $3500/Saks5thAve $2250

Starting Score: 426 Ch. 13 BK Filed Sep 2009; Discharged Jan 2013 :smileyhappy:
Current Score: TU 706 EQ FICO 701 EX 704
Goal Score: 720

Regular Contributor
Believe1970

Thank you. It seems to be moving fast. Last payment was supposed to be 08/13/2013 but somehow they took more and it was paid a month early. My lawyers offices sent me paperwork to sign before i could give them a call to see what i needed to do next. She said that was the last thing and now we have to wait to see if the creditors have an objection by 08/24/2013.

Regular Contributor
TRC2k13

You can plan on it taking a while.

I made my last Ch13 payment in Feb... and didn't get my discharge till May.

It's a slow process... with all the paperwork, account reconciliation... etc... etc... etc...

Regular Contributor
Believe1970

Thanks for the reply. Do you know when you get the money back you have overpaid? My employer sent two more payments after they were supposed to stop.

Regular Contributor
TRC2k13

Believe1970 wrote:

Thanks for the reply. Do you know when you get the money back you have overpaid? My employer sent two more payments after they were supposed to stop.

You'll get it back when the trustee balances the books.  I ended up getting about $40 back a month or so after I sent the final payment.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}