cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the quality of life like during chapter 13 bankruptcy?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is the quality of life like during chapter 13 bankruptcy?

I'm imagining basically house arrest for five years, being able to get basic groceries for food and gas for transportation to work and not being able to do anything or go anywhere or buy anything other than staple foods.

Is this right?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
krielly
Established Contributor

Re: What is the quality of life like during chapter 13 bankruptcy?

Things can and will be tight at times, and you have to be mindful of your spending for sure - but if you have a good lawyer that helps you create a realistic list/budget of monthly expenses you should be fine. Don't forget to allow for things such as car maintenance/tires, clothing, personal items, etc... the list should be extensive. Include as much as you reasonably can in your monthly expense budget. It's all about the planning.

I can tell you from experience that it will not be a cake walk. In reality, it really shouldn't be. But at the end of the 5 years it is totally worth it. I learned so much about living within my means from the whole experience. Very valuable lessons to take away for sure!

K

You can't have your cake and eat it too. But you can dip your finger in the bowl and lick the icing!
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What is the quality of life like during chapter 13 bankruptcy?

The first year of my BK 13, I was making significant less money than I was use to (which also contributed to my decision), but then once I started making more with a new job, then another new job, AND the fact that I figured out in that first year need vs want, made the next 3 years bearable.  There were times that I would be upset that I couldnt just spend money willy nilly, but it was ALL worth it.  Now a year post BK13 discharge, I STILL have a hard time spending money!  I dont ever want to be in that position again, and although I know I wont have that kind of debt again (student loans made it worse), I still worry so I dont spend.  I HATE that I had to get credit cards again to help my credit!!!!  So I use them for everyday expenses like groceries, gas, etc.  It doesnt have to be like prison at ALL.  It may feel like it the first year, especially if you keep your situation a secret (which I did for the first few years and still only my family knows...)   Its hard to not be able to do things but yet you dont want to tell all your friends why you know?

Hang in there!  I actually THRIVED the last 2 years AND was saving money while still paying off the BK.  You can do it!

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.