cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What percentage of people have filed bankruptcy in their lives?

tag

What percentage of people have filed bankruptcy in their lives?

Sometimes I look back and seriously regret filing.

I filed two years before most of the derogatory stuff would have fallen off my report, and a lot of it was past the SOL. I feel like I screwed myself sometimes. I had one lawsuit, but I could have just paid that and dealt with the one judgment. Now I have a judgment AND a bankruptcy. But obviously I can't turn back time and do differently.

I also feel like crap because it was just credit cards, unpaid utilities, and a few overdrawn bank accounts. I didn't have medical debt, or something serious happen. I was just stupid and irresponsible.

I guess I would feel better knowing I was less alone. What percent of the population do you think has filed? 

Edit: just realized that even if I had the answer to this it wouldn't make me feel better, since the percentage of people who file under my circumstances is probably negligible. Most people in my situation would have just waited it out. I think getting sued caused me to not think clearly. I should have just paid the judgment. But it's too late now.

Discover IT $2000 CL | Amex BCE $500 CL
Wishlist: Citi Double Cash, Chase Sapphire Preferred, BOA BankAmericard Travel Rewards, Wells Fargo Platinum
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Re: What percentage of people have filed bankruptcy in their lives?

Crap, I mean I filed one year before the SOL would have expired on most of my debts.

Wishlist: Citi Double Cash, Chase Sapphire Preferred, BOA BankAmericard Travel Rewards, Wells Fargo Platinum
Message 2 of 6
aussiesareforever
Established Contributor

I can definitely relate with you. I filed only because I was getting sued and din't want my wages garnished. My debts were all CC and utilities, probably less than 12,000 when it was all said and done. I was young (in college) and didn't have any financial inclination at that time.

I regret the decision sometimes but filing opened my eyes to taking care of my financial affairs. I still have 4 years to go before it falls off but I've come a long way from where I was back then. Like anything in life, I've learnt my lesson and I have hopefully moved on smarter!

BK in January 2008---Barclay's Apple Financing Card ($10,000) --- Capital One Quicksilver ($13,000)--- Platinum Delta Skymiles ($35,000) --- GEMB CareCredit ($10,000) --- AUFCU ($10000)---Discover IT ($33,000)

Experian 835 Transunion 828-- August 2018
Message 3 of 6
vtguy25
Contributor

I filed about a year ago pretty much my situation sounds just like yours. Bad decsions and I made a job change that didn't work out and everything snowballed and I dishcarged a lot of credit cards, personal loans, unpaid unitlities and a car it all totaled around 50,000 but most of it was one credit union totaling around 35,000.00  and i was being sued by the credit union.  I have to say I think it was the best choice that I have ever made I learned so much from going through it and will never make the same mistake again.

Message 4 of 6

I filed on around $25k of debt. Some of the debts were re...

I filed on around $25k of debt. Some of the debts were really small. I sometimes feel bad about not paying it off but even worse about the fact that I now have a derogatory on my record, a bankruptcy. I guess at the end of the day the only difference between me and someone who just waited it out is a bad mark on my credit and that I don't actually owe anything anymore.

Message 5 of 6
0REDSOX7
Valued Contributor

I filed with over 100k being discharged.

Do I feel bad about it? Not at all. The law is there for a reason. For my family, it was unemployment that set us over the edge. 19 months of no work for my wife did us in. Went through credit cards, savings, 401(k) money.

When I started buying groceries with my last credit card is what did me in.

I was never ever late prior to my bankruptcy filing - I was just spending more than I was taking in - even after cutting everything back that I could.

I sleep better. Health is better. It was a huge weight off my shoulders.
BK Discharge 2/11/14

Currently in the garden.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.