Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What steps should I take if I want to apply for a mortgage

tag
Jakookie

What steps should I take if I want to apply for a mortgage

Hello Board,

I Filed Chapter 7 in 2011, it got discharged 11/16/2011.  I started rebuilding by getting a secured loan from my CU for $1000 x 18 months. That is paid off, 12 months ago I received an unsecured visa $500, from the same CU with an annual fee. within the last 8 months I've applied & got approved for Comenity retail card $250, Barclay Apple Visa $700 (just got CLI on this to $1,450), Walmart Card $300, Gap store card $400 & Barclay Rewards mastercard $1,500 (this just a few weeks old).  I also just started (in Sept) a new installment loan with my CU in the amount of $2,000 for 24 months.  I have student loans that are reporting positively, no auto loan, no past mortgage or foreclosures, no late payments on any cards.  The balance on all my cards are either ZERO or below 30%.  So in total I have 6 cards (3 Major cards and 3 store cards) The 16th of November will be my 2 year post-BK anniversary, my goal is to purchase a single fam. house within the next 3 months (my current lease will be up in Feb, thus the 3 months).

I want to cancel the Credit Union Visa card with the annual fee but it is my oldest CC (12 months), is this a wise decision?

I want to cancel my Gap card because honestly, I was shopping, they told me to apply & I just wanted to see if I would get approved and I did, the balance on this is zero so I will cancel, but it has been open for just 2 months, how will this affect me and is this advisable?

Canceling these cards will leave me with 4 cards, 1 installment loan and my student loans.  What advice can you give me to get to my goal (approved for a mortgage with favorable rates) within this time frame, or should I wait one more year?

Any advice is welcomed & much appreciated so thank you in advance!!!! Without the knowledge I gained from this forum I would not have any of the credit cards I have today.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

Re: What steps should I take if I want to apply for a mortgage

If you plan to apply for a motgage in three months, do no close any tradelines. Deal with those AFTER you have closed on your house.

A 640 minimum middle score is what you need to apply for an FHA mortgage and avoid some underwriting.

Housing ratio should be 43% or less. Calculated by dividing a housing payment [PITI] by gross monthly income.

Total debt [housing plus all other debt payments] ratio should be under 50%.

Right now, it costs roughly $7 per $1,000 of mortgage.

Eg: $125,000 mortgage withh cost $875 [PITI] per month.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.