Established Member

What to do next

My chapter 7 just discharged... I want to rebuild my credit but I know I shouldn't just apply for a bunch of credit. Please advise

Starting Score: 497
Current Score: 523
Goal Score: 650

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Community Leader
Valued Contributor

Re: What to do next

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Bankruptcy/HOW-TO-From-BK7-discharge-to-700-in-24-months-or-less/td-...

That should keep you busy. Congrats on the discharge

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
721 EQ FICO 05/2015
720 TU FICO 05/2015
727 EX FICO 05/2015
$14k NFCU Platinum | $25k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $9k Barclay Arrival WEMC | $5.4k Cap1 Quicksilver | $6k Amazon Store | $10k Cap1 VentureOne | $5k Barclay US Airways | $500 Chase Freedom
Established Member

Thank you so much. If I do not know anyone with the NFCU or USAA what other bank could I open up my loan with?

Established Member

Thank you so much. You provided with this when I originally discharged and I have followed it to the T. My question is in reference to what do I do now that I have had slow payments on my credit since the time I started on the 700 credit score in 24 months. How can I bounce back?

Valued Contributor

Startnover2 wrote:

Thank you so much. You provided with this when I originally discharged and I have followed it to the T. My question is in reference to what do I do now that I have had slow payments on my credit since the time I started on the 700 credit score in 24 months. How can I bounce back?

do you have any open loans from a bank/credit union, credit card, car loan, etc?

TU FICO: 672 EQ FICO: 660
NFCU LOC 15k NFCU CR Visa Sig 17.5k NFCU GR MC 17.5k Barclays RMC 10k Cap1 QS Visa 5k DFCU Visa Plat 4.6k R2G 3.7k RFCU Visa 3k Walmart 1k
Garden since: 1 Jan 2015
Established Member

Yes I have 5 open credit cards along with my car loan

Valued Contributor

What cards and what limits?

TU FICO: 672 EQ FICO: 660
NFCU LOC 15k NFCU CR Visa Sig 17.5k NFCU GR MC 17.5k Barclays RMC 10k Cap1 QS Visa 5k DFCU Visa Plat 4.6k R2G 3.7k RFCU Visa 3k Walmart 1k
Garden since: 1 Jan 2015
Established Member

Cap 1 $500, Cap 1 $300, First Savings, $350 SECU $500 and First Premier $300

Community Leader
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Startnover2 wrote:

I don't quite understand your question. Do you mean the 'slow payments' have occurred after your Bk discharge? How slow have the payments been, 30 days? 60 days?

If so, then don't apply for any more credit at all. Take care of the credit you have already received and make sure the payments are made on time.

If they have been 30 days and you have since caught back up, then continue to make payments on time and eventually send in a Goodwill letter to have the late removed. Having derogatory pay history after a Bk is a credit killer. So you will need to prove first that you can make timely payments and then hopefully they will remove the lates when you send in the GW letter. GL

Established Member

My slow payment occured with my car payment when I lost my job.  Yes it happend 1 year after my BK.  I have 1 year of great payment then lost my job.  60 days late on my car note.  It is caught up now

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.