Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do now?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

What to do now?

Rebuilding folks suggested posting here as well...Quick background, my ch 13 was discharged 5/5. I ran just my scores on Fico and that was gut wrenching, two mid 500s and one just below 500. It recommended a $2,500 credit card, but being just discharged by 8 days, that probably won't happen. I hope i did the right thing since I didn't ask here before I did, but my husband has a $3k card with Navy Federal and so we added me as an authorized user thinking his good credit history on the card will help boost me some. I plan on running my free reports in about a month to make sure everything is reporting correctly from the discharge and hoping that the settling down on reporting will hopefully boost my score as well. Was adding me as an authorized user the right thing? When should I try for a Navy Federal card on my own or since my car is going to need replacing in the next year, should I skip getting my own card and try for an auto loan on a $28K car with $10k to $15k down? Thanks all.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

Re: What to do now?

The first thing I did was make sure all my reports were reporting correctly...

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Bankruptcy/2-years​-discharged-BK13/td-p/3991739

I started with a $1000 CapOne card and in 2 years I've arrived at a pretty solid profile.  Rebuilding is a marathon... not a race.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@TRC_WA wrote:

The first thing I did was make sure all my reports were reporting correctly...

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Bankruptcy/2-years​-discharged-BK13/td-p/3991739

I started with a $1000 CapOne card and in 2 years I've arrived at a pretty solid profile.  Rebuilding is a marathon... not a race.

I agree,make sure your reports are up to date.  Then your rebuild can begin.  Good luck

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just looked at my reports for the bureaus and some are not reporting that they were in the 13 and others haven't updated to discharged, they simply just say "included in 13 or wage earner...".  I know it's only been a week since the discharge so should I wait until next month to send in a letter or should I send a dispute in now with a copy of the discharge to request they update the reporting?

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I just looked at my reports for the bureaus and some are not reporting that they were in the 13 and others haven't updated to discharged, they simply just say "included in 13 or wage earner...".  I know it's only been a week since the discharge so should I wait until next month to send in a letter or should I send a dispute in now with a copy of the discharge to request they update the reporting?

I started disputing the day after I recieved my discharge.  

Message 5 of 6
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I started disputing the day after I recieved my discharge.  

You can start disputing if you'd like but 30 days for a creditor to update your report is the norm.

If you are discharged on the 2nd and a creditor reports on the 30th of each month... you get the point.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.