cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When Does Chap 13 drop off credit report?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: When Does Chap 13 drop off credit report?

It looks like Experian reports dismissed Ch 13 BK for 7 years:

Experian does not seem to differentiate between dismissed and discharged Ch 13's.  These two quotes are from their website:

“Chapter 13 bankruptcy remains on your credit history for seven years. Chapters 7 and 11 are reported for 10 years.”

http://www.experian.com/credit-advice/topic-bankruptcy.html

When a bankruptcy is reported, Experian notes the filing date and tracks it for 10 years in the case of Chapter 7 bankruptcy or seven years in the case of Chapter 13 bankruptcy. At the end of that time Experian will remove the information automatically. You should not have to do anything

http://www.experian.com/ask_max/max053007d.html

And it looks like TU also reports dismissed Ch 13 BK for 7 years.

TU’s online training guide says

"Typical Retention Periods (May Vary by State) Chapter 13 Bankruptcy Dismissal or Discharges:  Seven years"

http://www.transunion.com/docs/business/HowToReadCreditReport.pdf

Message 11 of 23
tropknight808

Well, I guess I will know real soon.  I'll give it a few more days, perhaps wait until sometime in May 2010 (7 yrs and 1 month after filing) and pull my credit reports.  I'll let you know the results then.

Message 12 of 23
BobbyJ
Frequent Contributor

My Chapter 13 was deleted from my files sometime on or before 4/2010.  I filed back in 4/2003. When I checked about 3 weeks ago all 3 of  the bureaus had removed it and all files are 100% clean and no negatives.  I am sure it will happen for you very soon.  Good Luck!!!

Fico 8 Scores: EX: 787 (6/25/21) EQ: 788 (6/12/21) TU: 750 (2/21/21)
Fico 9 Scores: EX: 799 (11/9/20) EQ: 794 (10/13/20)

Ch7 BK Filed on 10/13/2013 - Discharged 1/14/14

Amex Blue Cash Preferred $15K | Amex Gold Card | Citi Costco Visa $7700 | USBank Altitude Go Visa Sig $10K | USBank Cash+ Visa $8K | C1 Savor MC Elite $15K | C1 Venture One $10K | C1 Quicksilver Visa Sig $10K | C1 Quicksilver WMC $10K | Penfed Plat Rewards Visa $9,500 | Penfed Power Cash Rewards Visa $11K | Discover IT $7500 | USAA Pref Rewards Visa $5K | Penfed Path Visa $10K | Logix FCU Plat MC $12K | SDCCU Plat Visa $2,500 | Best Buy Visa $2K | Chase Amazon Prime Visa Sig $500 | Consumers CU Visa Cash Rebate $5K | PNC Points Visa $2500 | JCPenney $1,800 | Abound CU Plat Visa $5K | Lowes $7K | HSN Card $3K | Walmart MasterCard $2K | Walmart Store Card $2K | Kohls $1K | Target Red Card $800 | QVC Card $800
Message 13 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Bobby,

Was your 13 discharged (completed) or dismissed?

And a big congrats, too,  - that's gotta be a great feeling when it falls off!

Message 14 of 23
tropknight808

Well, I just pulled all three credit reports today May 3, 2010.  Here is what I found:

Experian:         Cleared off of report.  (Hooray) 

TransUnion:   Still on report.  Note:  Status is listed as "Filed"  (Dang it!)

Equifax:           Still on report   Note:  Status is listed as "Dismissed"  (Double Dang it!)

Just to review my situation:  A Chapter 13 was FILED in April 2003.  The case was DISMISSED (vs. Discharged) in June 2003.  So I'm still trying to find out a definitive date on when it should/will drop off based on whatever status they have on file.  I'm not sure what Experian had listed the status as.

Message 15 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

And how many points has your credit scores rise, since the deletion of the bankruptcy on all credit reports?

Message 16 of 23
tropknight808

Progress report as of June 9, 2010

It's been 7 years plus 2 months since the Chap 13 was filed (with dismissal in June 2003).

Experian has already deleted it off the files.

TransUnion and Equifax still have it listed.

Message 17 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@tropknight808 wrote:

Progress report as of June 9, 2010

It's been 7 years plus 2 months since the Chap 13 was filed (with dismissal in June 2003).

Experian has already deleted it off the files.

TransUnion and Equifax still have it listed.

Thanks for the update tropkinght,

Have you considered disputing with TU?  On their website, they state that all CH 13 (dismissed or discharged) will only report for 7 years.

As far as EQ,  I think you (and I) are stuck with ten years for a dismissed BK.  But I would be very happy to be wrong on that one.  Here's hoping your experience is different and it ages off earlier.

Message 18 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

Thanks for that information.  What I've seen on credit reports, though, is many entries where it is described as "Chapter 7 or Chapter 13," even though it is a Chapter 13.  Is this something to dispute with the reporting agency, with the particular creditor, or both?  And how?

It appears that either the reporting agency or the creditor is trying to get the longer retention of the record by using the "7 or 13."  Seems like an abuse of the system to me.

thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Message 19 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello,

Thanks for that information.  What I've seen on credit reports, though, is many entries where it is described as "Chapter 7 or Chapter 13," even though it is a Chapter 13.  Is this something to dispute with the reporting agency, with the particular creditor, or both?  And how?

It appears that either the reporting agency or the creditor is trying to get the longer retention of the record by using the "7 or 13."  Seems like an abuse of the system to me.

thanks in advance for any suggestions!

gog,

Have you tried pulling your reports here or pulling your free annual credit report from the CRA?

Mine has always showed Ch 13 - I would guess that some second party pullers may not have full info.  Make sure you're looking at the real McCoy.

Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.