cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When an account is Included in Bankruptcy, does it matter if there's a closed date listed or not?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

When an account is Included in Bankruptcy, does it matter if there's a closed date listed or not?

I believe I've posted before regarding a previous Military Star Card I had, so here goes. According to CreditKarma, my Military Star account is listed as being IIB, however it also shows it being an open account (by way of Equifax). My Equifax credit report shows that it's also IIB, but the date closed field is blank. Do I have anything to worry about here, since the account's listed as IIB? Seeing CreditKarma showing this as an open account just freaks me out

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: When an account is Included in Bankruptcy, does it matter if there's a closed date listed or not

Nobody? I hope I didn't confuse anyone. Basically Equifax is reporting this account as an open account, even though it's included in bankruptcy (i.e. no closed date reporting)

Message 2 of 9
Bcunniff9
Regular Contributor

Re: When an account is Included in Bankruptcy, does it matter if there's a closed date listed or not

When were you discharged?
BK7 Filed | 3/25/2016 | EQ: 530 | EX: 526 | TU: 505
BK7 Discharged | 7/11/2016 | EQ: 535 | EX: 574 | TU: 506
Current FICO 8’s 10/28/2017 | EQ: 680 | EX: 680 | TU: 665
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why do you ask
Message 4 of 9
Bcunniff9
Regular Contributor

If you were recently discharged, wait a couple weeks for it to update. If it's been a while, dispute it.
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was discharged late last June. I've disputed this with Equifax, and they didn't change it, pretty much just gave me the "account is reporting correctly" jargon. I then disputed with the CFPB, and they said that Equifax was reporting correctly.

I then contacted Military Star directly, and they told me that "the account is reported as included in bankruptcy and with a $0 balance. All other info is irrelevant since the account's listed as IIB..." Pretty much what Equifax was trying to say I guess.

I just wanted to come here and confirm whether this is true or not.
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just looked at my credit history on Equifax, by way of the dispute process, and there's no closed date for another account I had. It's listed as IIB just the same as the Star account, with neither of them showing a closed date

However CreditKarma's listing the other account as closed, yet listing the Star Card account as being open. Perhaps CreditKarma's the culprit here?
Message 7 of 9
Bcunniff9
Regular Contributor

If you are able to pull from annualcreditreport.com i would do so. I personally pay no attention to the credit karma and the other credit services that offer reports. Go to the official source at ACR.com or grab them off Fico. If those reports are still not reporting correctly then im out of ideas, maybe someone will chime in...

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Afraid I've already used my annual pass on acr.com. Acr.com shows the same info that an Equifax report would have right? 'Cause the report Equifacx sent me shows the account as IIB with a $0 balance.

No closed date, all just the same as another account, but Crédit Karma's reporting that account as closed. I've read elsewhere that this problem isn't uncommon, so I'ma have to check with Crédit Karma to make sure this isn't just them f-- messing up
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.