flyerguy5545

When to close cc before BK and when can I reapp?

Hello

So those of you that know my situation.

I have 19 personal credit cards with 105,000 total credit line with 0 debt on any of them.

Credit score is 620 due to American express collection and Tmobile. (730 prior to collections)

I personally guarenteed an American express card and merchant account for a company which went under thus 100% of my filing BK 7 is due to business failure.

I am going to take everyones advice to close my credit card accounts prior to filing BK which is on May 10th. My question is when do I close them? Right now or May 1st?

So lets pertend I file on May 10th, when would an appripriate time to try to re app with any of my credit cards be. 1 the day after I file bk or when I am discharged?

thank you

Regular Contributor
coreyb80

Re: When to close cc before BK and when can I reapp?

It's always best to reapp after your discharge takes place. 

flyerguy5545

that reply helps, thank you. Should I cancel all my credit cards now or May 1st. Anyone have any advice?

Community Leader
Senior Contributor
StartingOver10

I would close them now. No need to keep them open if you are filing May 1st. Make sure they say "closed by consumer" and show a zero balance.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}