cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When to close cc before BK and when can I reapp?

tag
flyerguy5545

When to close cc before BK and when can I reapp?

Hello

So those of you that know my situation.

I have 19 personal credit cards with 105,000 total credit line with 0 debt on any of them.

Credit score is 620 due to American express collection and Tmobile. (730 prior to collections)

I personally guarenteed an American express card and merchant account for a company which went under thus 100% of my filing BK 7 is due to business failure.

I am going to take everyones advice to close my credit card accounts prior to filing BK which is on May 10th. My question is when do I close them? Right now or May 1st?

So lets pertend I file on May 10th, when would an appripriate time to try to re app with any of my credit cards be. 1 the day after I file bk or when I am discharged?

thank you

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
coreyb80
Super Contributor

Re: When to close cc before BK and when can I reapp?

It's always best to reapp after your discharge takes place. 

Message 2 of 4
flyerguy5545

that reply helps, thank you. Should I cancel all my credit cards now or May 1st. Anyone have any advice?

Message 3 of 4
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

I would close them now. No need to keep them open if you are filing May 1st. Make sure they say "closed by consumer" and show a zero balance.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.