Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where to begin

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Where to begin

Well I have managed to check my credit report my student loans don't appear to be reporting correctly but maybe its to early. As well there are a few late charges that appear I assume this is from not paying for 2 months prior to filing then the 3 months prior to discharge. I am just not sure where to begin in BK I burned Citi/Synchrony/USAA/Discover.   I am not sure if at this point we need to go the secured loan route? Or just try capital one? Looking at there website we both are prequalified.  Any advice is appreciated. Credit scores below

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
enjoimorenow
Frequent Contributor

Re: Where to begin

If you prequalified on CapOne then you should have no problem getting a card from them.  I would go ahead and apply as long as you are discharged and the BK is reporting.

Sounds like you and your spouse, you can add each other as an AU on the other card to add an additional reporting line.

Do you have any installment loans?  I know you said student loans, but not sure if they are in defferment or if you are paying them.  If you don't have an installment loan look up the shared secured loan on here and get that going.  I personally think it's worth it even with the student loans as it will add another positive trade line with good payment history.

Read the BK to 700 thread and follow the advice.

Make sure your cards report small balances and always PIF each month.  Your scores will slowly go up.  Remember it's a race not a marathon.  

I'd look into starting a relationship with a good credit union.  There are threads here to joing NFCU or you can go for PenFed or DCU as well.

GL

BK 7 Scores (08/2016): EQ-528. TU-486. EX-530.
Current Scores (04/2022): EQ-717. TU-735. EX-736.
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@enjoimorenow wrote:

If you prequalified on CapOne then you should have no problem getting a card from them.  I would go ahead and apply as long as you are discharged and the BK is reporting.

Sounds like you and your spouse, you can add each other as an AU on the other card to add an additional reporting line.

Do you have any installment loans?  I know you said student loans, but not sure if they are in defferment or if you are paying them.  If you don't have an installment loan look up the shared secured loan on here and get that going.  I personally think it's worth it even with the student loans as it will add another positive trade line with good payment history.

Read the BK to 700 thread and follow the advice.

Make sure your cards report small balances and always PIF each month.  Your scores will slowly go up.  Remember it's a race not a marathon.  

I'd look into starting a relationship with a good credit union.  There are threads here to joing NFCU or you can go for PenFed or DCU as well.

GL

Thank you I am already a memeber of NFCU as well as local credit union

Message 3 of 6
enjoimorenow
Frequent Contributor

If I were you I would apply for CapOne.

Then take 500 in savings from NFCU and open a secured loan.  Use the $500 from the loan and put it back into savings and open NFCU secured card.  Make sure to always pay on time and pay in full.  Let them grow and your scores will start to increase pretty rapidly.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@enjoimore. How did you get a Chase card so soon after bankruptcy?

Message 5 of 6
enjoimorenow
Frequent Contributor

I'm only an AU on the card

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.