cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which decision is best for this account?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which decision is best for this account?

I have a HSBC NV account that was opened in 8/2002. The account was included in my BK in Februrary of this year. It shows 8, 90+ days late payments in early 2006. Ever since 9/2006 they have been reporting the account paid as agreed but the status is Bad debt/collection. This account was sent to a collection agency which removed their record from my credit report after the BK so I guess that is why HSBC started reporting it as ok??. The majority of my other credit is newer credit with the exception of student loans from the late 90's. Would I be better off to leave this on my report since it shows they are reporting it as paying as agreed since the age of my other credit is fairly young? Or would it help my score more to try to get the account removed or at least the late 8 payments removed?
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Which decision is best for this account?

You want the account gone.. however, the account has to show a $0 balance, $0 past due and can not say "charge off/bad debt/skip trace" or anything else derogatory - It can only say IIB and show the amount ($0 balance/$0 past due).
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

The balance is showing $0 the status is bad debt/collection and past due amount is "Not On Record". What would be the best way to get this removed?

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

If it was late, in collections, or charge off, when you filed for BK, then they can legally report that.
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just dispute it as IIB.  They came after me to repo the car with judgements after they could not find the car and they had been reporting a charge off and a balance of 1624.  They just removed the charge off and set balance to 0 with IIB from my EQ and my score skyrocketed.  It worked.

JC
Message 5 of 9
Baybreeze
Valued Member

Almost all my accounts were reporting wrong after my BK, most were shown as collections/charge-offs, etc...plus they were all showing amounts past due, it was a mess. I found out from reading thru all sorts of credit boards that even if an account was in collections or was charged off, as long as you IIB, once the BK is discharged, they still have to report it as IIB with all 0$ amounts.

I printed out all my reports and highlighted all the errors and wrote in how they shouldl be reporting, plus wrote out letters for each one and sent them off. I didnt even dispute that they were ever in collections/charged off....I just said even tho they had been charged off, the accounts need to be updated to show IIB. So I sent off all my documents (certified mail as I learned from the boards), and after several weeks, everything got fixed to report correctly. So I actually had no problems with my disputes, everything got fixed, and my FICOS jumped alot after that! I know I have seen letter templates posted on here that you can use, maybe doing a search you can find them.
Message 6 of 9
rizeninme
New Contributor

Baybreeze-

How long did it take to hear back?

I sent certified letters out two weeks ago, like you asking them to report my accounts accurately as IIB, and haven't heard a word.

I'm not known for my patience though....

Message Edited by rizeninme on 10-14-2007 08:28 PM
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Baybreeze,

After they made the changes does your report still show late payments?
Message 8 of 9
Baybreeze
Valued Member

Ya know, I cannot remember how long it took, but it was within 30 days.

Yes, the late payments still stayed on there and I did not dispute that b/c it was accurate. However, everything on my credit since then is positive.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.