cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is it so hard to get credit after a BK?!

tag
jdirilo
Frequent Contributor

Re: Why is it so hard to get credit after a BK?!

I thought the inq's fall off after  year?  The charge off that wasn't included is from University of Phx. I didn't think I could include it in my BK because it was educational, but now I am starting to think maybe I could have. I don't have the $2200 to pay it off now, or even do a settlement. Probably not until tax returns Smiley Happy I have never been able to save a dime in my life, I am horrible at it. BUT slowly and surely I am starting to. I opened a checking/savings with NFCU and I have just $25 direct deposited twice a month, so that is my savings for now. I have been with Wells fargo for a year, and they are not my fave bank so I was able to get an account with a local CU today, and they are working on reconsidering my credit card  that I apped for 2 weeks ago. The guy was incredibly nice and understanding, he asked me about every single thing on my credit and I told him the situation at the time. He made it very clear that they are not solely about gaining business, but about maintaining member relationships and helping them get back on their feet when everyone else turns them down for credit. I won't have an answer til monday, but worst case scenario, he said they will offer me a shared secured loan to start with. I am totally ok with that, and trust me, DONE apping! I am going to have to get the hang of the "gardening" concept and commit to it for at least 6 months! Our lease is up in 7, and we want a house SO badly!

Message 11 of 18
shalane85
Frequent Contributor

I had the same thing from UoPheonix. You can absolutely include it because it is not a federal student loan. Mine was 10k.

Message 12 of 18
jdirilo
Frequent Contributor

Well it's too late now! Will paying it off improve my score at all?

Message 13 of 18
shalane85
Frequent Contributor

Only if they agree to delete it. How long ago was your dishcharge?
Message 14 of 18
jdirilo
Frequent Contributor

Oct 2009

Message 15 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Everyone is correct. Patience is the key. I was discharged in 2007 and have been slowly re-building. Credit  card here and there, maybe every 6 months to a year before trying another one. Multiple applications hurt your credit.

I only have maybe a total of 20K in credit card credit. Keep the balances low!

EQ: 801 EXP: 767 TU: 801

Message 16 of 18
AZHeather
Frequent Contributor

When you are ready to pay that CO, you should try to do a pay for delete.  If they refuse, you should still pay, but then try to get a goodwill removal after that.  If that fails, take comfort in the knowledge that if your goal is to eventually buy a house, the mortgage company will require any and all collections and charge offs to show as paid.

You are at a good start.  Keeping saving, using your cards, paying everything on time, garden what you have, and you should see a rise in your scores over the course of the next year or two.

Good luck!  (NO MORE APPING!! Smiley Wink)

Message 17 of 18
jdirilo
Frequent Contributor

Thank you Smiley Happy And congrats to the poster with an 801 score! That is awesome after a ch 7 BK! I wish I had known about secured cards and all this rebuilding info right after my bk was discharged, I would be in a much better position to buy a house. That is the plan in 7 months. So I will have to pay off the charge off account regardless? I was told that since I can't put my husband on the loan(complicated) they can only use me and my income, and since it's only like $26000 a year right now(I just started working this year) then it will be difficult to get a decent house with my income. Not that it has anything to do with credit, I got side-tracked.

I called all of the cc companies to find out my statement closing date to make sure that my cards are paid down or off by that date every month. I am going to hang out in the garden as long as possible to get some of those older inq's to fall off. I am completely open to any other suggestions or advice to get the ball rolling! Apparently, this is a very long process...

On a side note, I checked all 3 CR yesterday and in the past month I successfully had 3 judgements removed that were included in my BK but were still reporting. TU told me that they will still report, just as "included in bk" so I disputed them again, and yay, all were deleted and only the BK remains as a public record. I have written to GW letters, my first ever, and I will send them off today. One is to Chase Auto, for a car loan 4 years ago that ended up being totaled and we made a settlement for the balance owing, but they still reported two payments as 30 and 60 day late. Also one other GW for a small medical collection that was paid last month, $70, that they said they wouldn't delete, but I figure a gw letter won't hurt. Wish me luck!

Thanks for all the advice!

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.