cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why wont Equifax update my charged off accounts to IIB, even after disputing and showing proof?

tag
Divaofsongs
Frequent Contributor

Why wont Equifax update my charged off accounts to IIB, even after disputing and showing proof?

I am really getting aggravated because Equifax refuses to update the status of 5 accounts from charged off to IIB. In all 5 instances, the accounts were sold or transferred and when I disputed them, they said the information was verified and will remain as is. I tried to re-dispute and even uploaded my Chapter 7 discharge paperwork but they are still refusing to do anything about it. What can I do about this?

I am not asking them to delete the files, just to update the status to IIB. Regardless of whether the accout was sold or transferred, it was still listed on my BK paperwork and discharged. Do I have any recourse for this?

The balances all say $0 but it is the status that is the issue. From what I have read, an account that has the status of charged-off will affect my score worse than IIB. Is this the case?

Chap 7 BK Discharge Aug 2013 (Initial CL/Current CL): Discover IT ($5.5K/$32.5K) Cap1 QS ($500/$30K) Amazon ($700/$8K) Barclay's MC ($1,300/$10.3K) Upromise ($500/$33K) Lowe's ($900/$13K) Sportsman's Visa ($17K) WF Amex ($13K) AMEX BCE ($10K) AMEX Gold NPSL - FICO's: All 740+
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
0REDSOX7
Valued Contributor

Re: Why wont Equifax update my charged off accounts to IIB, even after disputing and showing proof?

Were they charged off prior to you filing?

BK Discharge 2/11/14

Currently in the garden.
Message 2 of 8
Divaofsongs
Frequent Contributor

Re: Why wont Equifax update my charged off accounts to IIB, even after disputing and showing proof?

Yes, I thought they were both charged off before my filing, like years ago, but after looking closer, one has a reporting date of 2011, and the other a reporting date of AFTER I filed my BK. In this instance, it seems like a duplicate account because I only had one acct with Fingerhut but there are two reporting. Both say they were sold/transfered to another lender. This is what it says:

Fingerhut/Metabank, reporting date of 05/01/2011, Date opened, 01/01/2008, DOFD is 01/2008, and amount of $400, Status: Charge off; Additional Information: Account transferred or sold; charged off account. 

CIT/Fingerhut Direct MRKT, reporting date of 06/25/2014 (A MONTH AFTER I FILED BK), Date opened, 01/01/2008, DOFD is 07/2009, and amount of $300, Status: Charge off; Additional Information: Account transferred or sold; charged off account. 

As you can see, both have the same acct # and date opened but different amounts, DOFD and slightly different creditor/tradeline names.

I have disputed both and both have come back as verified and they will not change or remove them. 

Chap 7 BK Discharge Aug 2013 (Initial CL/Current CL): Discover IT ($5.5K/$32.5K) Cap1 QS ($500/$30K) Amazon ($700/$8K) Barclay's MC ($1,300/$10.3K) Upromise ($500/$33K) Lowe's ($900/$13K) Sportsman's Visa ($17K) WF Amex ($13K) AMEX BCE ($10K) AMEX Gold NPSL - FICO's: All 740+
Message 3 of 8
0REDSOX7
Valued Contributor

IIRC, the reporting of Charged Off is valid if the account was indeed charged off prior to your filing.

BK Discharge 2/11/14

Currently in the garden.
Message 4 of 8
Divaofsongs
Frequent Contributor

What if it was charged off after the fiiling? 

What about the 2 tradelines being a duplicate with same account number and different info reporting? How can I at least get it down to one reporting, the right one with the 2008 DOFD?

They won't even let me open another dispute! Smiley Mad

Message 5 of 8
0REDSOX7
Valued Contributor

I would search on here for a phone number to Equifax - there is a number to call with really competent people who get it.  That might be your best option.

BK Discharge 2/11/14

Currently in the garden.
Message 6 of 8
Scupra
Super Contributor

@0REDSOX7 wrote:

I would search on here for a phone number to Equifax - there is a number to call with really competent people who get it.  That might be your best option.

If all else fails and you have a valid dispute you could try the CFPB

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 7 of 8
PHATBody
Valued Member

I had the same problem.  I had a line of credit with Bank of America (BOA).  I paid on time before i filed for BK.  Once i filed, BOA listed the account as a charge-off and then added the same account with a status of IIB.  I tried to dispute with EQ with no luck.  I had to contact BOA and they corrected it by deleting the charge-off.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.