cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will I mess up my parents credit with my bankruptcy?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Will I mess up my parents credit with my bankruptcy?

My mom was an AU on a few of my cards and I am AU on a few of her cards and it didn't affect her at all once the creditor closed my accounts they just automatically removed the account from her credit report and the BK didn't affect her accounts that she has me as AU on

Message 11 of 12
sarge12
Senior Contributor

Re: Will I mess up my parents credit with my bankruptcy?

@Kaydee84 wrote:

Hi Everyone.

I am about to file for chapter 7 but I am worried. I am an authorized user on my parents Macys Amex because they are older now and frequently, I make purchases for them. Next year, they will be looking to purchase a new home. Is there any possible way by any reasonable stretch of imagination that my bankruptcy will affect them? I would hate for my problems to make things difficult for them. I also got my USAA membership through my dad but he was not on any of my accountss at USAA. USAA will be included in my bankruptcy. USAA can't hold my father accountable for my debt, can they?

Thanks in advance for your response.

Being an AU on an account will not affect the primary card holders account whatsoever, any debt an AU created on that card can also not be discharged in an AU bankruptcy. AU are never legally responsible for that debt. Also the familial relationship that made you eligible for a credit union account will not affect the persons account you are related to...the accounts are totally seperate.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.