cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will existing cell phone co terminate service if you file for bk & are in good standing

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Will existing cell phone co terminate service if you file for bk & are in good standing

I am a t-mobile customer and noticed on my credit report that t-mobile did a soft-pull on my report.  I am in good standing with t-mobile and pay my bill on time.   

I have read on these boards that existing credit card companies close accounts with zero balances that were not IIB

For those of you who have filed for bk, will cell phone service providers do the same thing?  If you are in good standing and you did not include your cell phone bill in the bk, will the company terminate your service?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
TigerCat
Valued Member

Re: Will existing cell phone co terminate service if you file for bk & are in good standing

I am also a T-Mobile customer, filed Chapter 13 in 2006 and did not include them in my case. I have never been late with them and have had no issues since filing. I have also noticed their soft pulls from time to time, but I really don't think it's an issue as long as you stay current. I obviously have not had any problems during the 3 years of my plan. Hope that helps. Also, not all cc companies will close your accounts. I had a Macy's account with a zero balance when I filed, and it's still open and active 3 years later.
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Will existing cell phone co terminate service if you file for bk & are in good standing

we filed for ch13 3 years ago and I still have my same verizon account today.  Verizon never contacted either one of us about it, we just kept on as normal.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

At the time of my Chapter 13 filing, I had Cingular/AT&T, and even switched to Verizon while in the plan (so they put in a credit inquiry), and was never declined service nor asked for a deposit. My payments were on time throughout.
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

TigerCat,  thanks for your feedback and to the other members who responded.  All the feedback is reassuring.

Now I dont anticipate any issues considering that t-mobile benefits from keeping us as customers provided that we are current.  Maybe the soft pulls are used to flag high-risk customers so that they know to take prompt collection efforts on them in the event that they fall behind.  I dont know for what other reason t-mobile would be doing soft pulls. 

To be proactive I cancelled my only two cards left with zero balances and I cancelled all my other cards with balances except my bank's Cc which I am hoping will get reaffirmed.   I would rather have my CR show 'closed at consumers request'...and I'll start to rebuild my credit after filing just like everyone else.  Its very possible some creditors like Macy's overlook bk filings and let you continue to use their card but with the way credit card companies have been behaving lately I feel that keeping my existing cards gives me a false sense of credit.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.