cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will reaffirming my car loan hold up my Discharge??

tag
amber78
Contributor

Re: Will reaffirming my car loan hold up my Discharge??

Ok thanks. I am not sure what the Fresh Start Bk Offers are.. now I need to do some more research. lol. THANKS Smiley Happy

PAST SCORES: Experian FAKO
511 (12/01/13), 591E(05/02/14), 628 (05/07/2014)
CURRENT SCORE: 658 (08/15/2014)
Filed CH7 04/2014 & Discharged 08/2014
Goal Score: 720
In my wallet: CapitalOne Plat. $700 (07/2014), Capitalone QuickSilver $2,000 (09/2014)
Message 11 of 12
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

Re: Will reaffirming my car loan hold up my Discharge??

@amber78 wrote:

Sorry I dont know the answer... but I am planning to do the same thing. 

i love my car loan its through a GREAT program. I dont want to get rid of my car.. and I want them to keep reporting to the CB that I am making payments on time.. 

Not sure why many ppl on these boards are saying not to do it... but Im newer

Much has been posted in the forum on the topic of reaffirming debt ... but I'll try to help you

If you reaffirm a debt and then default post discharge, you are at the creditor's mercy as you will have zero protection of the bankruptcy laws. Let's saythat you miss a couple of payments and the creditor were to repossess the auto then sell it off at an auction for less than the balance owed, they will come after you for the difference ... and you have lost the auto on top of that.

Given that the #1 objective of filing a bankruptcy petition is to rid yourself of debt and creditors, can you see how deciding to reaffrim a debt contradicts that objective?

Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.