Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will they take the car sooner

tag
shadanat
Frequent Contributor

Will they take the car sooner

I filed for bankruptcy on 6/17/17 and in my petition I indicated that I wanted to pay and retain the car. Now I find out that the car needs about $1200 work of work. My 341 meeting is 7/26 and the next payment is due 7/9. If I don't make the payment, will they take the car sooner or do they have to wait until after the discharge. I'd rather save the money to be able to just buy something after discharge. 

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
audio-disabled
Regular Contributor

Re: Will they take the car sooner

You may have to talk to your lawyer and see if you can make an amend by adding your car to bankruptcy.

After that, just follow your lawyer's instructions on what to do next. Do not contact your auto lender, otherwise they may take it sooner.

In my experience, I had Chapter 7 bankruptcy that includes surrendering the car immediately. After filing for bankruptcy, I contacted the bank and notified them that I will be surrendering the car through bankruptcy. They acknowledged, but never called back for one-two weeks. After that, I was able to arrange their tow truck to come and take the car. It was pretty easy process.

I had already bought another car while in bankruptcy, so they took it. You can try and negotiate with your lender and see if you can use the car a bit longer until you get your own transportation situation figured out.

$5000 Barclay Apple Visa | $4500 CapitalOne Platinum | $6000 SL CapitalOne VentureOne | $10K SL PenFed Pathfinder | $3500 Wells Fargo Platinum | $9500 BECU Visa
Goals: Grow scores into 700s
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.