Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners
Established Contributor

Re: Working my Rebuild! - 1 year later

Hey folks!

Today is the 1-year anniversary of my BK7 discharge - what a ride!

I've accomplished all the goals I set for myself and then some...I have 3 revolving credit lines >$15k, the highest being $22k...I successfully refinanced my car...I have my first ever 2% rewards card, running through lots of spend and making $$$...I have a $3k emergency fund set aside, earning some pretty decent interest...and I easily qualified for a new apartment (bye-bye slum lord!!)  I think I'm ready to say it...

Rebuild Complete!!

So what now?

My current/remaining goals include:

High-end creditors:        AMEX and Chase are the long-term targets here...

Buy a house:                  Another year to go before I can look at FHA, 3 more years for a conventional loan...

Break 700:                      Crossing my fingers to get there in the next year...

Unless something goes wrong, or I'm tempted to app for something AMAZING, I think I'm in the garden until further notice...but I plan to stick around and contribute, because without this amazing community and the knowledge shared here I'd be NOWHERE near where I am now...it's time to give back Smiley Happy

Thank you to EVERYONE who has contributed advice and support!

BK7 Discharged 4/27/2016 - Fico 8 as of 05/18/2017: EX 655 / TU 660 / EQ 676 - Follow my Journey Here
Valued Contributor

Congratulations TygerHawke, that's a remarkable first year rebuild!

I started my rebuild slowly, I had limited income and didn't want to get in trouble again. But my rebuild really took off after I found MyFico in 2014, and by then I was 2 years into solid employment with my local county. I hit a milestone today, 6 years 3 month post BK7 discharge, I app'd for the Amex Blue Cash Everyday, approved for a SL of $15k, my highest SL ever!

Question: Does your NFCU CLOC report as an installment loan? I have a great car loan (60 months @1.99%) from a small local CU but they only report to EQ & EX, I need an installment that reports to TU, as I see "lack of recent installment loan" in my TU FICO score negative factors. 

FICO Scores: TU 720, EQ 688, EX 688
Established Contributor

DaveInAZ wrote:

Congratulations TygerHawke, that's a remarkable first year rebuild!

I started my rebuild slowly, I had limited income and didn't want to get in trouble again. But my rebuild really took off after I found MyFico in 2014, and by then I was 2 years into solid employment with my local county. I hit a milestone today, 6 years 3 month post BK7 discharge, I app'd for the Amex Blue Cash Everyday, approved for a SL of $15k, my highest SL ever!

Question: Does your NFCU CLOC report as an installment loan? I have a great car loan (60 months @1.99%) from a small local CU but they only report to EQ & EX, I need an installment that reports to TU, as I see "lack of recent installment loan" in my TU FICO score negative factors. 

The CLOC is a revolving credit line and does report that way (it's one of the 3 I mentioned in my post) - If you need a quick installment loan, I recommend the Share-Secured loan technique, using Alliant Credit Union to provide the SSL - I got one for my DW while we didn't have an auto loan reporting, and it worked like a charm - We've since retired the loan and are using Alliant for their 1.05% APY savings account to accumulate our emergency fund...although I hear they also have one of the FOTM rewards cards people are buzzing about as well Smiley Happy

BK7 Discharged 4/27/2016 - Fico 8 as of 05/18/2017: EX 655 / TU 660 / EQ 676 - Follow my Journey Here
Frequent Contributor

TygerHawke wrote:

Hey folks!

Today is the 1-year anniversary of my BK7 discharge - what a ride!

I've accomplished all the goals I set for myself and then some...I have 3 revolving credit lines >$15k, the highest being $22k...I successfully refinanced my car...I have my first ever 2% rewards card, running through lots of spend and making $$$...I have a $3k emergency fund set aside, earning some pretty decent interest...and I easily qualified for a new apartment (bye-bye slum lord!!)  I think I'm ready to say it...

Rebuild Complete!!

So what now?

My current/remaining goals include:

High-end creditors:        AMEX and Chase are the long-term targets here...

Buy a house:                  Another year to go before I can look at FHA, 3 more years for a conventional loan...

Break 700:                      Crossing my fingers to get there in the next year...

Unless something goes wrong, or I'm tempted to app for something AMAZING, I think I'm in the garden until further notice...but I plan to stick around and contribute, because without this amazing community and the knowledge shared here I'd be NOWHERE near where I am now...it's time to give back Smiley Happy

Thank you to EVERYONE who has contributed advice and support!

Congrats TygerHawke on you credit rebuild. You have created a nice selection of cards with good limits. I know you will continue to grow and do good with credit now. I have learn so much on here in my time rebuilding. Its easy to get caught up in our own shortcomings and ponder where is my big SL or Big Lender , instead of being thankful we found this forum. I would have been in subprime land with crap cards for at least three years if I didnt start using MF and pacing myself. If only I can get a stubborn co-worker to check out MyFico. Again Congrats and keep on pushing!!!

Established Contributor

Update time!

Right on schedule, DW got this message from Merrick:

Congratulations! We are pleased to inform you that we have doubled your credit limit to $2,500.

Moving right along...

Established Member

Congratulations on the strong rebuild, TygerHawke!

Sounds like you've accomplished some great credit goals and also saved up an emergency fund.  I think that's a key part of managing credit responisbly and making sure we don't go down the bk route again. It's really encouraging to know others are doing the same thing I am and learn from their journey. Thanks for sharing your story with us!  

BK7 discharged September 2015
Discover IT $4300, Capital One Quiksilver $3300, PenFed Power Cash Rewards $2500, J.Crew Store Card $1500
EQ 660 / TU 650 / EX 674
Credit Goals: 700 score, mortgage ready within 2 years
Highlighted
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

Great job Tyger! You have done an amazing job in such a short time. Keep up the hard work and you will crush those goals in no time.

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
732 EQ FICO 05/2017
740 TU FICO 05/2017
735 EX FICO 02/2017
$20k NFCU Platinum | $25k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $6.6k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $14k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

† Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
‡ Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

* For complete information, see the terms and conditions on the credit card issuer’s website. Once you click apply for this card, you will be directed to the issuer’s website where you may review the terms and conditions of the card before applying. While myFICO always strives to present the most accurate information, we show a summary to help you choose a product, not the full legal terms - and before applying you should understand the full terms of products as stated by the issuer itself.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.