Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Working my Rebuild!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Working my Rebuild! - 1 year later

Hey folks!

Today is the 1-year anniversary of my BK7 discharge - what a ride!

I've accomplished all the goals I set for myself and then some...I have 3 revolving credit lines >$15k, the highest being $22k...I successfully refinanced my car...I have my first ever 2% rewards card, running through lots of spend and making $$$...I have a $3k emergency fund set aside, earning some pretty decent interest...and I easily qualified for a new apartment (bye-bye slum lord!!)  I think I'm ready to say it...

Rebuild Complete!!

So what now?

My current/remaining goals include:

High-end creditors:        AMEX and Chase are the long-term targets here...

Buy a house:                  Another year to go before I can look at FHA, 3 more years for a conventional loan...

Break 700:                      Crossing my fingers to get there in the next year...

Unless something goes wrong, or I'm tempted to app for something AMAZING, I think I'm in the garden until further notice...but I plan to stick around and contribute, because without this amazing community and the knowledge shared here I'd be NOWHERE near where I am now...it's time to give back Smiley Happy

Thank you to EVERYONE who has contributed advice and support!

Message 101 of 119
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Congratulations TygerHawke, that's a remarkable first year rebuild!

I started my rebuild slowly, I had limited income and didn't want to get in trouble again. But my rebuild really took off after I found MyFico in 2014, and by then I was 2 years into solid employment with my local county. I hit a milestone today, 6 years 3 month post BK7 discharge, I app'd for the Amex Blue Cash Everyday, approved for a SL of $15k, my highest SL ever!

Question: Does your NFCU CLOC report as an installment loan? I have a great car loan (60 months @1.99%) from a small local CU but they only report to EQ & EX, I need an installment that reports to TU, as I see "lack of recent installment loan" in my TU FICO score negative factors. 

Message 102 of 119
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DaveInAZ wrote:

Congratulations TygerHawke, that's a remarkable first year rebuild!

I started my rebuild slowly, I had limited income and didn't want to get in trouble again. But my rebuild really took off after I found MyFico in 2014, and by then I was 2 years into solid employment with my local county. I hit a milestone today, 6 years 3 month post BK7 discharge, I app'd for the Amex Blue Cash Everyday, approved for a SL of $15k, my highest SL ever!

@Anonymous: Does your NFCU CLOC report as an installment loan? I have a great car loan (60 months @1.99%) from a small local CU but they only report to EQ & EX, I need an installment that reports to TU, as I see "lack of recent installment loan" in my TU FICO score negative factors. 

The CLOC is a revolving credit line and does report that way (it's one of the 3 I mentioned in my post) - If you need a quick installment loan, I recommend the Share-Secured loan technique, using Alliant Credit Union to provide the SSL - I got one for my DW while we didn't have an auto loan reporting, and it worked like a charm - We've since retired the loan and are using Alliant for their 1.05% APY savings account to accumulate our emergency fund...although I hear they also have one of the FOTM rewards cards people are buzzing about as well Smiley Happy

Message 103 of 119
Blackswizz750
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey folks!

Today is the 1-year anniversary of my BK7 discharge - what a ride!

I've accomplished all the goals I set for myself and then some...I have 3 revolving credit lines >$15k, the highest being $22k...I successfully refinanced my car...I have my first ever 2% rewards card, running through lots of spend and making $$$...I have a $3k emergency fund set aside, earning some pretty decent interest...and I easily qualified for a new apartment (bye-bye slum lord!!)  I think I'm ready to say it...

Rebuild Complete!!

So what now?

My current/remaining goals include:

High-end creditors:        AMEX and Chase are the long-term targets here...

Buy a house:                  Another year to go before I can look at FHA, 3 more years for a conventional loan...

Break 700:                      Crossing my fingers to get there in the next year...

Unless something goes wrong, or I'm tempted to app for something AMAZING, I think I'm in the garden until further notice...but I plan to stick around and contribute, because without this amazing community and the knowledge shared here I'd be NOWHERE near where I am now...it's time to give back Smiley Happy

Thank you to EVERYONE who has contributed advice and support!

Congrats TygerHawke on you credit rebuild. You have created a nice selection of cards with good limits. I know you will continue to grow and do good with credit now. I have learn so much on here in my time rebuilding. Its easy to get caught up in our own shortcomings and ponder where is my big SL or Big Lender , instead of being thankful we found this forum. I would have been in subprime land with crap cards for at least three years if I didnt start using MF and pacing myself. If only I can get a stubborn co-worker to check out MyFico. Again Congrats and keep on pushing!!!

Message 104 of 119
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update time!

Right on schedule, DW got this message from Merrick:

Congratulations! We are pleased to inform you that we have doubled your credit limit to $2,500.

Moving right along...

Message 105 of 119
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations on the strong rebuild, TygerHawke!

Sounds like you've accomplished some great credit goals and also saved up an emergency fund.  I think that's a key part of managing credit responisbly and making sure we don't go down the bk route again. It's really encouraging to know others are doing the same thing I am and learn from their journey. Thanks for sharing your story with us!  

Message 106 of 119
Scupra
Super Contributor

Great job Tyger! You have done an amazing job in such a short time. Keep up the hard work and you will crush those goals in no time.

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 107 of 119
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Working my Rebuild!

Update time!

Seeing that my 90 days with PenFed will be up soon, I decided to apply for a CLI - instant approval to $7,000 Smiley Happy

It's growing slowly, but growing...hard to complain when I'm actually carrying a balance and not optimizing *shrug*

Message 108 of 119
Scupra
Super Contributor

Congrats on the increase! Like you said, something is better than nothing Smiley Happy
Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 109 of 119
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Update time!

Seeing that my 90 days with PenFed will be up soon, I decided to apply for a CLI - instant approval to $7,000 Smiley Happy

It's growing slowly, but growing...hard to complain when I'm actually carrying a balance and not optimizing *shrug*

Nice!!!

Are increases < 90 days a thing with them? 

Message 110 of 119
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.