Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zero approvals almost 2 years post bk

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Zero approvals almost 2 years post bk

I’ve been discharged for over a year now and had zero luck rebuilding.. The financial institutions here on island aren’t friendly at all to BK filers. I’ve only got a secured cc of $500 & secured loan of $1000 which is barely helping my score.
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
tnvols
New Contributor

Re: Zero approvals almost 2 years post bk

What island are you referring to?  I was discharged from Chp 13 on Oct 30 and was approved for a Cap One QuicksilverOne a week later.  Are your reports clean and updated with the discharge?  Do you still have collections or any negatives reporting?  Something is definitely wrong unless you have gone crazy with inquiries to banks you aren't ready for yet.   What are your FICO scores?  What is your utilization and payment history on your secured card and what card is it?

Oct 2017 Scores MyFICO FICO 8

Equifax 633
TU 582 (Suck it TU)
Experian 615

July 2018 Scores MYFICO 8
Equifax 700
TU 674
Experian 689

November 2019 Scores(24 mos post CH13 discharge) MYFICO 8
Equifax 783
TU 799
Experian 794
Message 2 of 12

I had luck with First Premier Bank within a few months of discharge, maybe you could give their unsecured a try. I was approved for Milestone and Credit One about 10 months post discharge. (After being denied by Credit One a few months earlier.) I also used the shopping cart trick (do a search for instructions) and got a store card with no credit pull (but which reports to credit bureaus.) Those may be other options for you.

Message 3 of 12
Scupra
Super Contributor

What lenders have you submitted apps to?

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you try Capital One? 

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I’ve been discharged for over a year now and had zero luck rebuilding.. The financial institutions here on island aren’t friendly at all to BK filers. I’ve only got a secured cc of $500 & secured loan of $1000 which is barely helping my score.

First of all, congrats on the discharge and a big welcome to the myFico forums. You are in the right place!

The more info you can share with us the more information we can share with you.

I'll be watching for your updates and I look forward to following your future rebuild!

Smiley Very Happy

Chapter 7: Discharged November 2015
Total Revolving Credit Lines 1 month post discharge: $2600
Total Revolving Credit Lines 1 Year post discharge (Nov. '16): $86K, Total with installment loans: $174K
Total Revolving Credit Lines 23 months post discharge (Oct '17): $196K, Total with installment loans: $338K
11/15 Fico 8: EQ-585, TU-550, EX- 551
01/17 Fico 8: EQ-695, TU-703, EX-673
09/17 Fico 8: EQ-695, TU-692, EX-683
Inquires: Next subject please

Message 6 of 12
msvee32
New Contributor

BK 2013 - I cleaned my credit report to the point I do not have any credit so I had to start from scratch! I started with:

1. First Premier Bank - 1 year, 2 cards both $700.00 CL (had these removed from Credit report 11/2017)

2. Capital One Platinum - 8 months - $300 CL. A link was provide on this forum for Capital One upgrades. I used the link and I was able to  upgrade this card to a Quicksilver cash rewards card 11/2017.  Due for a CLI Jan 2018

3. Barclay - 1 month - $1000 CL

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@msvee32 wrote:

BK 2013 - I cleaned my credit report to the point I do not have any credit so I had to start from scratch! I started with:

1. First Premier Bank - 1 year, 2 cards both $700.00 CL (had these removed from Credit report 11/2017)

2. Capital One Platinum - 8 months - $300 CL. A link was provide on this forum for Capital One upgrades. I used the link and I was able to  upgrade this card to a Quicksilver cash rewards card 11/2017.  Due for a CLI Jan 2018

3. Barclay - 1 month - $1000 CL

@msvee, do you have an installment loan (like a Share Secure or auto) in you portfolio?  How are your scores looking now? Not to hijack this away from the OP, but it looks like you may be a good candidate for a Discover card at this point. Congrats on the rebuild progress...nice work!!

Smiley Very Happy

Message 8 of 12
msvee32
New Contributor

@WadeDalton 

Thank you! I have an auto loan with CPS - 8 months old. EX 662/TU 652/EQ 577. I have applied for several cc recently My inquiries for TU 12/EX 8/EQ 5. My EQ report still has 4 disputes pending so I cannot use them. I am kind of nervous to apply since BOA and AMEX turned me down

Message 9 of 12
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Hi OP!

1. What are your current FICO scores?
2. What cards/ lenders did you burn in your BK? (example...chase, Citi, pottery barn etc...)
3. If you're applying to lenders that are known to NOT BE BK FRIENDLY like AMEX, CHASE, CITI (legacy), US BANK etccc. so SOON after your DC...then, yes, you won't be approved period. Those lenders want 5yrs post DC, and if your burned them in your BK, then thats another story.
4. We can't help you or offer advice if you can't provide a few basic facts...Answer those questions first, and then we can go from there.
5. You have a secured card and a secured loan, thats a great start! offer up some more facts, and we can go from thereSmiley Happy
6. Also, make sure your actual reports are reporting correctly...accts $0bal/IIB, etc....
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.